News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

same key, new problem

Started by Vibe75, June 06, 2005, 10:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vibe75

The grommets worked great for the sustain but now I can't get that bite or grit sound from that key.  I know it's not the generator and I've been playing with the position from the tine to the generator.  But, I can't get that bite sound from that key.  Can anyone help me?
I love the Rhodes....and playing some Funk.

BackRoomSounds

Having read your other post I'm thinking you just might have a duff Tine there.

If you have adjusted the front screw to the right height and the back screw so the end of the tine is just above mid centre of the pickup and it still sounds a bit duff? You have a good looking hammer tip on there and your damper set correctly then it seems like it can only be a duff Tine.

axg20202

I agree, sounds like a dead tine. Before swapping it out, it might be worth checking the very end of the tine to make sure that it is ground flat rather than a ragged cut or snap. If the tine was badly cut to length, leaving a jagged end, it could affect the sound. However, I'm guessing the tine is on it's way out.

Andy

hrees

Check the strike line of the note by sliding the harp back and forth whilst hitting the dead note. This will usually solve any 'dead' tine issues. Either that or your hammer tip is too soft/pickup placement incorrect. Dead tines are rare and all other factors should be eliminated before reaching that conclusion.

BackRoomSounds

Surely hrees if there was a strike line major issue then there would be many more poor sounding notes?

Vibe75

I don't believe that it is the harp placement that is causing the problem.  I looked at the end of the tine and it's not completely cut evenly.  BUT, it's really a  microscopic imperfect cut.  I could shave it down a bit to even it out?  If the tine is slightly uneven at the end, and I mean slight, will it affect the bark and bite sound that much?

axg20202

Maybe, but probably not. Try and new tine - it'll probably solve the problem.

hrees

Take the tone generator assembly (and that for the note above) out of the piano completely and compare the tine with the adjacent note. If they both ring for an equal length of time when plucked by hand then the tine is not the problem.

You may have a dead pickup on that note, or strike line can be an issure if the tine has a short taper (these are common is late 70s mark 1s: I have have seen quite a few pianos with this).

Be sure before you throw tines away as they are expensive!

hrees

Or you have a dead pickup.

Vibe75

I don't think it is the generator because James Garfield told me to tap the generator with a screwdriver to see if you hear a clank from the amp.  And I do hear a good clank.  The volume of the key is fine, it just sounds dead or muted.

How do you check if the tine isn't getting a double strike?

Vibe75

Another thing, I took to tine off to check it and it looks like it is bowing a bit.  Like it is warped or something.  Do tines get warped after too many years of striking?

BackRoomSounds

The easiest way I can think of to test its not the damper, hammer tip, pick up, strike line etc
Would be to remove the Tone bar and Tine  assembly complete from the working key next to it by removing the 2 screws and springs and mount it in the place of the problem one.

If this now rings dull the same its an action problem.

However if it rings true as it did in its position next door then it would seem it has to be your Tine thats give up.

Seems a logical thing to try to me?

hrees

Did you pluck the tine and compare it with the adjacent one?

Vibe75

Yes I've plucked the tine.  I definitely think it's the tine now.  I've tried everything else and that is the only option left.  

I will post my results after I put a new tine in.

Thanks everyone for your help

hrees

Ok. I now accept you have a bad tine!

Vibe75

Oh man, It's not the tine.  I just replaced it and it still sounds dull.  I think it is the generator now.  I've checked it before but that is my only option.  James Garfield told me to tap it with a screwdriver and to listen for a clink in the sound.  It does that.  That's why i'm confused now.  The tine vibrates really well now with new gromments and springs.  The dammener is really good but the hammer tip is a little hard.  My only conclusion is the generator.

I can understand this key.

spacecho

Hey all,

when this happens can the tonebar cause the short sustain rather than the tine??

my mk2stage has a few keys like this..

Vibe75

I do know that if the tonebar is touching anything the sustain will fade quickly.  I still haven't found out why that one key of mine is dull sounding.  But now I have other problems with my piano.  Hopefully this tech will fix everything for me.