Author Topic: The old legs question  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Wavedude

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
The old legs question
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:25:45 PM »
My friend suggested that I put thick enough blocks of wood where the leg flanges would go on my suitcase. Does this seem like a good idea? If so, how thick would the blocks need to be?
Fender Rhodes 88 key - Suitcase Model

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
Re: The old legs question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:37:50 AM »

If you are planning to mount Stage piano legs on your Suitcase piano top, you will hit a few snags.

One problem is that the Suitcase piano top has only a half-inch plywood bottom. 
The stage piano has a three-quarter-inch plywood bottom to mount the leg flanges.

When you mount the leg flanges on a suitcase piano, the screws don't have as much wood to hold onto, and the flanges are supported by thinner plywood.  The result may be less strong and stable than you need.

Another problem is that the leg flanges can interfere with the guts of the piano.  The piano keybed is sitting right on top of that plywood base, and the leg flanges are inconveniently located under the keybed.  There will not be space to install blocks of wood to reinforce the base without working around the keybed. 

The leg flanges need the full 3/4" plywood, or they will protrude and interfere with the keybed.  You could indeed modify your keybed to avoid the protrusions, but I doubt that you would enjoy that.

Sean

P.S. - If you have a plastic-key Mark II from '82 or '83, you won't even have a keybed.  These pianos have the balance rail and front rail screwed right to the plywood.

Offline Wavedude

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
Actually, the blocks would not go inside the rhodes, but outside on the bottom. They would probably be 1/2 inch plywood pieces either apoxied or screwed into the bottom.

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:05:17 PM »

Oh, okay.  That will work.

However, you would be much happier if you did NOT use plywood.

You can get oak and maple pretty easily at Lowes/HD/Ace/TrueValue/84/wherever.  They all have finished oak in short lengths available for trim work around doors or stairs.  They should have 24-inch lengths of 1/2" oak in 2.5" and 3.5" widths.

If you are going to remove your Tolex, then you can glue and screw the wood to the bottom of the piano.
If you leave the Tolex in place, then screws will have to do the job.  As long as you are going to have something protruding from the piano bottom, I see no reason to use small squares of wood.  Go ahead and use a longer strip of wood from the front to the back of the piano that will support both legs on either side.

If you have a set of leg braces you might not have to put any wood under the center plate.  If you move the center plate slightly toward the rear of the piano, you can get the leg braces to fit.  (The leg braces never fit very well on a stage piano anyway.  They like to wrestle with you.)  If you want to leave the leg brace plate in the standard place under the piano, you could also just use a stack of washers around the knob bolt to lower the attachment point (or compensate for short braces).  It is a pain in the neck to fiddle with, but it works.  The washers sit above the ends of the braces next to the piano, not next to the knob-end of the streaded bolt.

=========

Now, at the end of all this discussion, wouldn't it be easier to sell your legs and crossbraces to someone for $200.00, and use the money to buy a sturdy portable keyboard stand?

sean

Offline bumpyrhode

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »
If you're going to reinforce the bottom then I would suggest a full piece of 3/4 "
about 1" shy of all edges. If you just block the area where the mounting plates
go the 1/2" suitcase bottom can still warp around the block.

If you have the stage model legs I really think the best alternate is to create a
platform to attach the legs to. Drill holes in it for the glides on the bottom of the
suitcase. That way you always have the suitcase option available.

Offline Wavedude

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:01:12 PM »
Now, at the end of all this discussion, wouldn't it be easier to sell your legs and crossbraces to someone for $200.00, and use the money to buy a sturdy portable keyboard stand?

That's the thing, I have a keyboard stand I specifically bought for this piano. But it's still not sturdy enough, and it also just looks crappy. I'm going to buy the legs hardware.

If you're going to reinforce the bottom then I would suggest a full piece of 3/4 "
about 1" shy of all edges. If you just block the area where the mounting plates
go the 1/2" suitcase bottom can still warp around the block.

A piece of wood that large would make it even more heavier. But I can see what you mean about the wood warping.

If you have the stage model legs I really think the best alternate is to create a
platform to attach the legs to.

But then the legs might interfere with the piano internally like sean said. It seems like a good idea, but I would still need the reinforcement wood.

Keep in mind that I do not own the legs yet. I'm looking for the best deals for them online for this project. Now if anyone believes its cheaper to get an original bottom speaker cabinet instead, please speak up, because I cant seem to find one for less than I paid for the actual piano itself.

Offline bumpyrhode

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 05:13:54 PM »
What I was suggesting is that you make a "table". It would be separate from the
piano and could be carried on its' own. Mount the leg plates and cross brace plate
to the 3/4" platform and set the piano on top after it's assembled. 

Since you have a suitcase model you have the glides on the bottom. Drill holes in
the platform to position the piano like it's done on the suitcase speaker box. Drill a
hole for the sustain rod also. This way you have done no modifications to the piano
itself.

Offline Wavedude

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »
Thats not a bad idea! Thanks, that would seem to be ideal. Much apreciation guys! :)

Offline Rhodesman73

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »
Why not just buy a "Z" stand...like those made by QuikLoc.  It would be more portable and convienent than a table top type of platform, really sturdy, can be adjusted up and down for playing standing or sitting, and you won't have to risk doing damage to your suitcase piano by trying to mount leg flanges to it. I have a QuikLoc Z-726 - rated at 250# total weigh capacity.  No problem holding the rhodes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:27:08 PM by Rhodesman73 »

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 08:25:27 PM »
Would a Z stand be strong enough?

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline Wavedude

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »
I had a Z stand and I used to use it for the Rhodes when I first got it, but it was definitely way to flimsy. I don't think I could even mount it to the bottom of the suitcase if I tried. I wouldn't want to use it anyways because, well, lets be honest, most keyboard stands make the Rhodes look like crap. They don't match the style of the piano and even if you try to get a tabletop stand, the dimensions of it are just too small for the Rhodes. It makes it even worse I have an 88 key model. The things a mammoth and my little dinky stands look like toothpicks under it. I'm getting the feeling nothing would be more satisfying than an original bottom cabinet or legs.

Offline Rhodesman88

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »
Would a Z stand be strong enough?

A cheap one no...a good Ultimate Support "Z" stand works just fine.  I have a Suitcase Top sitting on one right now.....no problems.  The 73 note suitcase piano top weighs in at around 140# with the case top off.  The heavy duty "Z" stand will support over 200#...no problems.