News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Is there a way I can install a BBE Sonic Maximizer in my namerail.

Started by coachdobbs, June 09, 2011, 02:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachdobbs

Im such a big fan of what these do for the sound of a Rhodes. I have the stereo rackmmount version of it for a long time, but I was wondering if anyone here would have any clue how to take maybe the BBE Mono Sonic Stomp version of this and wire/mount it to the namerail. I would love to have stereo (because I love using stereo effects), but Im just trying to think simple right now, and mono would be easier.

Also, is there anyway that this could be the last thing in my effects chain before my amp? Meaning could I run out of the Rhodes into my effects, then back in for the Sonic Maximizer, then back out to my amp?

There are a lot of people on this forum who are A LOT better with electronics than I am, so any ideas/help is appreciated.

Thanks!
1978 Fender Rhodes Stage 73 (3978) 
Roland JC-120 
BBE Sonic Maximizer 
Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble/1982 Boss CE-2/1982 Ibanez CS-9
1978 EHX Small Stone/EHX Polyphase
MXR Analogman Dyna/Ross
1974 Thomas Organ Wah

Cormac Long

Honestly.. I don't think I'd do this.. but you asked... so here goes!

Lets take a look at the box..

http://www.bbesound.com/products/stomp-boxes/sonic-stomp.aspx

..you can't be certain without seeing inside.. but we're possibly looking at the two pots being circuit mounted and the latch switch on its own wired to the board. Usually the battery compartment is located right behind the latch, hence my assumptions on it being off board.

So to fit something like this on a rail, I think it might have to be removed from the existing case and mounted commando behind the rail with the two pots drilled in position. On its own its too tall. So either its re-drilled into its on case horizontally, left unboxed or fitted into a new box.

The latch switch could be drilled and fitted alongside the pots and might be best replaced with a pole switch similar to the vibrato switches on the later Mark2 suitcase rails.. easy to flick on and off while playing. The battery could be held in place behind the rail with a clip. Personally I would not mount a stomp latch on the rail.. a bit too noisy for me and it might get amplified by the rail and harp cover.

If we were back in the day, I'd be suggesting you order a new rail from your nearest Rhodes stockist and drill holes in that rather than mess with your original just in case! The alternative today is to source one on sale on ebay or whatnot and use that. I'm not at all comfortable about defacing an original and would do my best to avoid it if possible.

But an aesthetically reversible approach would be to concentrate drilling of any new holes around the location of the existing faceplate. If you remove the original plate and substitute it with a generic plate (haven't a clue where you might get such a plate.. anyone?), then extra holes could be drilled if required and yet covered up by the original face plate should you ever choose to reverse the mod.

Bear in mind that most stage models (Mark 1 onward) were pre-drilled for the suitcase preamps.. thats three pot holes (bass,  treble, volume), a larger hole for the 4/5-pin suitcase cable and a further 2 jacks for an effects loop. The stage models use 2 pot holes for volume and bass boost and the other for the output jack.

so you could mount the two pots and pole/latch switch in these three holes or re-drill to fit the fixed positions of the pots if required.

Take a look at VV's Stereo Vibe installation video.. at 2:09, you'll get a good view of these pre-drilled holes after the original plate is removed....
http://www.youtube.com/user/vintagevibekeyboards#p/u/49/tAbXIiUV60g

it would be possible to wire two jack sockets in the position of the fx loop and take advantage of the make and break switches on these sockets to give yourself an effects bypass. In fact VV sell this mod pre-made...
http://www.vintagevibe.com/p-470-suitcase-true-effects-loop-kit.aspx
.. but it could be soldered up by hand.

So you could have the harp routed to one of these allowing you take a direct harp signal if ever required but also loop back into the 2nd socket which is wired to your BBE's input.

Another jack output mounted where the 4/5 pin hole is drilled would carry the output signal from the BBE. So you take signal from the fx send (harp direct) or from the 4/5 pin position (BBE Out). When using the BBE out, the fx send/return will let you fit a loop before the BBE which is what I think you want.

Essentially when you pull the cable from the FX out, it shorts a connection that wires the harp output to the lower jack and onto the BBE. Putting a cable into the FX out, breaks this connection, meaning that any signal to the BBE has to return via the lower jack.

In terms of mounting a jack where the 4/5 pin hole is, it may mean the jack mounted more on the thin faceplate metal than the actual rail metal, but a wide washer could compensate on the inner rail side to reduce the width of the pre-drilled hole, meaning your output jack is better secured.

Hopefully others can chip in here with suggestions or comments on my madness above!
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

bumpyrhode

The name plate/control panel would be pretty easy. Just draw what you want
with dimensions and take it to an engraving business. I had some small items
done at a local trophy shop and it was cheap.

I would think if you were to do this on a suitcase model using the guts from a
Sonic Stomp it would have to be wired in before the preamp to maintain the
vibrato. I'm pretty sure these are supposed to be the last item in the effects
chain.

If it were me I would just get the cheekblock from VV $120.00 that has dual
outputs and another BBE482i $120.00. Save a lot of headache and I think the
Sonic Stomp (mono) is $100 by itself. Of course this is assuming you have
a suitcase. If you're talking about a Stage model then I don't think it would
be to difficult.

Alan Lenhoff

I don't mean to deprive anyone of the joy of a really good do-it-yourself project, but isn't the Major Key Harmonic Clarifier just what you're looking for -- a BBE Sonic Maximizer circuit built into a package that can be easily subbed for the passive electronics?

Of course, I haven't kept up with the on-again, off-again saga of Major Key, so I don't actually know if they still sell them.  But maybe used ones are on the 'Bay?

Alan
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Find it on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762/

1965 UK Vox Continental;1967 Gibson G101 organ; 1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; 1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73; 1972 Rhodes Sparkletop Piano Bass; 1978 Hohner Clavinet D6; 1968 Hohner Pianet N II; 1966 Wurlitzer 140B; 1980 Moog Minimoog Model D; 1983 Roland JX-3P; 1977 Fender Twin Reverb; 1983 Roland JX-3P synth; Vox AC30CC2X amp.
(See the collection: https://vintagerockkeyboards.com/ )

bumpyrhode

The Major Key BBE Preamp was made to order, however, the site
says they are discontinued and final buildout to be announced.

Maybe if a few of us placed a quantity order they would make them.

http://www.majorkey.com/cgi-bin/preamp.html

Bottom of page.

coachdobbs

I know about the Major Key Harmonic Clarifier. If I knew I could still get one, then I probably would.

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Vintage Vibe stuff? Their preamps, and other assorted goodies? I've always really wanted the Quadrapuss. Any thoughts?
1978 Fender Rhodes Stage 73 (3978) 
Roland JC-120 
BBE Sonic Maximizer 
Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble/1982 Boss CE-2/1982 Ibanez CS-9
1978 EHX Small Stone/EHX Polyphase
MXR Analogman Dyna/Ross
1974 Thomas Organ Wah

Dan Belcher

Quote from: coachdobbs on June 13, 2011, 06:12:40 PM
Do any of you guys have any experience with the Vintage Vibe stuff? Their preamps, and other assorted goodies? I've always really wanted the Quadrapuss. Any thoughts?
I've got the Stereo Vibe preamp and love it. Here's a clip I posted of it awhile back showing off different EQ settings and tremolo settings. (And a little Small Stone phaser action at the end for good measure :P)

http://soundcloud.com/dan-belcher/preamp-example

Also, it has the same exact faceplate design as the older suitcase preamp so it looks stock aside from the cheekblock power supply.
Proud owner,
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73