Author Topic: Low output  (Read 862 times)

Offline AdrianTvedten

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Low output
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:51:33 AM »
Hi

I have a 1970 Rhodes KMC I (73 keys). It was originally a suitcase, but I've chopped off the cabinet and removed the preamp to make it easier to transport and because the speaker in the cabinet wasn't powerful enough. When I had removed the cabinet/preamp the harp output worked fine (and I'm planning on installing a preamp).

However, the hammer tips where bad, so I changed them with a set I bought from a Rhodes-parts dealer. After this, the output level of, counting from the bottom, C3 and all the way to C4 is very low compared to the rest of the piano. It seems that the tines are not resonating properly. I've checked the pickups, changed back to the old hammer tips, and also checked the voicing. None of these solved the problem. I also moved one of the bad keys' tine and tonebar to a fully functioning key right next to it, and it sounded bad there as well. It seems that there is something wrong with the tine/tonebar, does anyone know what it could be?

It would be great knowing what's wrong, so I don't have to start blind-ordering a bunch of spare parts :)

Offline Cormac Long

• Ultra Moderator
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
    • The Electric Piano Forum
Re: Low output
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »
Did you try gently tapping the pickup metal tips in both the low and good areas to see if there is a difference.. may help clarify that its not the pickup or pickup section.

Offline AdrianTvedten

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Yes, I did, and there's no difference.

Somehow, the problem has been solved. I took out the tonebar/tine and untightened the tine and then tightened it again, cleaned all tines and tonebars and generally just tried to "reset" every screw and connection. I then put the tonebar/tine back on the rhodes, and everything was fine. I don't really know what it was that solved the problem, but I'm happy to say that everything is now back to normal :D

Thanks for your response!

Offline jim

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/cyberjimpatterson
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:36:21 AM »
it is possible that each time you put the harp down, you put it down in a different position, and put the strike line out. This is the sweet spot where your hammers should hit the tines. (hence when you put a tine in the spot next to it's own it will sound dull)
did you screw it down each time?