Author Topic: Notes not sustaining (Video)  (Read 1808 times)

Offline GaryRhodes

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Notes not sustaining (Video)
« on: July 21, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
Hi all,

Im hoping someone can tell me what to do. Despite changing the grommets and hammer tips on my Rhodes, I am left with a couple of duff notes as you can see in the video. The damper felt is not in contact with the tine when the key is depressed and neither is the hammertip. So what on earth is the problem? I have tried moving the tonebar screws but nothing.

http://youtu.be/ygeptcc4CMc

Offline Cormac Long

• Ultra Moderator
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
    • The Electric Piano Forum
Re: Notes not sustaining (Video)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:22:48 PM »
Off hand it sounds to me like the tonebar has resonance issues. So raise the harp and pluck the tine and compare with the adjacent tines.

If that sounds fine, then you probably just need to check escapement etc. Check out the vintage vibe videos on youtube on how to set escapement as the next step.

If the plucking confirms its a resonance issue.. I would try to re-seat the tonebar again or check if its touching adjacent tonebars etc. It could also be oxidation or grit on the tonebar affecting its resonance. Maybe it just needs a clean. Another mad idea may be that its the wrong tonebar and its length is not adequate for the pitch in question.

When the tine is struck, it causes the upper tonebar to resonate and they both oscillate off each other to prolong the sound.. so if that is not ideal, the note will fade.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:38:32 AM by dresdner353 »

Offline bumpyrhode

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:16:24 PM »
Do you have all the correct mounting springs on that tonebar? At 0:52 I can see the screw
before I even notice the spring. The adjacent tonebars look to have heavier or multiple
springs. I don't know if that can impact sustain but it's worth a shot.

Offline Cormac Long

• Ultra Moderator
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »
Actually the escapement does look too low on one of the tonebars.. not certain if its the same note. I've attached a still below where  got a glimpse of this.. the 3rd tonebar to the right of the harp support.

You probably do need to reset the escapement.

Offline GaryRhodes

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:46:43 AM »
Hi,

Yes, the escapement has been factory set, that's just where I left it after not solving the problem with factory escapement like the rest. Could it be a dead tine? I'm going to take it out and have a look. I'll also borrow a spring from next door key to see if that solves it. I'll try cleaning also.

Offline Cormac Long

• Ultra Moderator
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:06:06 AM »
Did you raise the harp and just pluck the tine?

Offline GaryRhodes

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »
Im going to have a look in a couple of hours after dinner, but sitting here thinking. I remembered when I changed the grommets I noticed some double springing of some of the tonebars. I remember removing them as I presumed it was one spring per screw. Now when iv read up on why it was done 'problems with sustain, a quick fix at the factory by double springing'

Aargh!! I made an amateur mistake, I dare bet when I double spring it to test, it solves it.

Still, it's a learning process.

I'll conduct the tests tonight.

Offline jim

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/cyberjimpatterson
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:39:44 AM »
It might also be worth plucking the tine next to your ear when you have it out (hold the assembly by the screws) that's usually a pretty good test of a tine. If it rings gloriously you'll know it.

Offline GaryRhodes

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »
Hi,

Yes I took it out, plucked, and it does indeed resonate nicely. I'll try replacing with different gauge springs I'm shortly receiving from VV, as well as cleaning the tonebar and checking there's no contact between the adjoining tonebars.

Offline GaryRhodes

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
Just a quick update, managed to solve sustain problem. The grommets were not the same as the others, short thin and flimsy. Also, one of the tonebars had oversized screws, obviously not original. Should have realized that after it took a lot of effort tightening last time.

It pays you to check everything, you just don't know what's been messed with by people who were looking for a quick fix-job at the time.