News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

just another VST...

Started by willstring, July 28, 2011, 08:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willstring

found this, just made me feel even better about owning a real rhodes-

http://neosoulsuitcase.com/sounds/

they just keep comin' out with these things! but they are pale in comparison to the full, rich sound of the real thing. 

just my opinion. what do you guys think?

sledge-mk1

Some of these plugins can do amazing things! The coolest results I've gotten (before I actually owned one) were done with Native Instruments Elektrik Piano - running it through tape, or simply recording it with a mic to get some air in there, thru vintage stereos, amps or so. Amazingly nice results.. Anyway I still think after seeing this, the Neosoul one is the best sounding Rhodes patch I've heard yet, really captures the sound very nicely!

Still, it's not the real thing at all, of course haha..  It was fun playing this vid in the background and doing similar licks with the real thing and comparing them all side by side. I'm happy to say, mine didn't pale in comparison!  :D

leon-

Listening to the demos it sounds pretty good. I'm tempted to get the product they do for the Yamaha Motif as there's no way I want to lug my stage '73 all over the place...
To be honest - I think they're getting close in terms of sound - at the same time, the range and versatility of a Rhodes means I don't think they'll ever get 'there' for an awful long time.
But sometimes the convenience does make emulations worthwhile. I used to have a Nord Electro and to have such a Rhodes emulation in a keyboard which weighed about 6 kgs was amazing.
Have to give a thumbs up to Elektrik piano as well.

Dan Belcher

The VSTs of Rhodes never, ever get the dynamics quite right, and they always insist on changing the sound to "fatten it up" and such. But whatever they do just makes it sound worse in my opinion! At least give me the option to use the dry, unaltered tone and I'll EQ, compress, reverb, and/or chorus it as necessary for whatever I'm playing that day, you know?

That said, I do love VSTs in general. I have spent a combined total of around $350 on VST instruments to recreate the sound of a Steinway D, a Hammond B3, and several modern and vintage drums and cymbals. They're not perfect, but that's also better than the $200,000 it would have cost me to acquire all of those actual instruments.  8)
Proud owner,
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73

SWANG

1972 Mark I Stage 73 with Vintage Vibe "Stage Vibe" custom preamp

Ok, bye!!!