Author Topic: Are there any songs that are just Rhodes, bass, and drums? Or something close?  (Read 3735 times)

Offline AFeastOfFriends

• Mark I
    • View Profile
This is kind of an obscure question to ask, but I figured I'd give it a shot.
I have a friend who plays bass, and he especially loves to play slap style, but the director of our jazz band won't allow him to play slap in any of the songs we do. At the same time, I almost have my Rhodes fully restored, and would really like to get a chance to play it/show it off to more than just myself.

We decided that we'd try to play a song together (along with our drummer buddy) at the next band concert, but I don't really know what we could do. It could be a full song, but I'm doubtful that there's an actual song that just has a Rhodes, bass/slap bass, and drums. A sort of glorified jam would work, but we lack the knowledge of jazz/funk/etc. theory and structure to churn out something good.

As a side note, if anybody knows of any good sources for learning jazz/funk structure, as well as basic Fender Rhodes theory (as it's quite a bit different than playing the acoustic piano or the combo organ), then that'd be great. I'd love to take lessons, but from what searching I've done, any offered around me are either straight-up classical piano, or a deal where you learn to play songs instead of how to play music.

Thanks.

As a side note, I can't play by ear much. I can get individual notes, but chords are pretty much out of the question.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:41:18 PM by AFeastOfFriends »

Offline Cormac Long

• Ultra Moderator
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
    • The Electric Piano Forum
Jamiroquai comes to mind. Check out his earlier album Space Cowboy and the title song of the same name.

You might want to add a singer there but it could be played with just drums, bass, Rhodes and vocals.

You would need to play some chords however.... but its not too difficult.... quite a slow song.

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Minus the synth part in the middle this is a relatively easy track to play on the Rhodes.

Catch Up - Catch Up 1975 German Funk

Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook

Kool & The Gang - North, East, South West

If only you had a Clavinet, the track Ten Et Medor would be perfect. Great drums, really great bass and of course the Clav.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline AFeastOfFriends

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions! I listened to all of them, and I think the Kool and the Gang song is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It's the kind of song I had in mind, and we can play around with the arrangement to throw in solos or whatever. I think the director would be more willing to let us do it if we threw in a solo or two from the other jazz band members.

I have some quick questions though. Is the Rhodes being put through a wah, or is it a phaser/flanger? What's making that sort of rythymic clink noise that is reminiscent of a guitar being strummed with finger damping? Is it what it sounds like?
Also, any idea where I could get the chords? I can probably get the beginning 30 seconds by myself, but might have some trouble after all the rest starts.