Author Topic: Hanc**k Island – The Music of Herbie Hanc**k  (Read 1447 times)

Offline andi85

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Hanc**k Island – The Music of Herbie Hanc**k
« on: November 14, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »
Here's another CD recommendation with lots and lots of Rhodes: Hanc**k Island – The Music of Herbie Hanc**k. In a quartet setting, Lenny White (dr), Buster Williams (b) and Steve Wilson (as, ss) explore a selection of Herbie's tunes arranged and directed by George Colligan (Rhodes). The album offers a new perspective on classic compositions such as Butterfly, Rockit, Cantaloupe Island, and of course Chameleon – with one of Herbie's trademark instruments in the center.
As the CD is part of Chesky's New York Sessions Series, it was recorded at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in New York City with only a single point microphone. Whether this is one of "the purest most natural recordings" is up for everyone to decide – I love the sound. I'd be curious to know the amp used on the recording, but the booklet doesn't give any information on that. It sounds like a slightly overdriven tube amp, but maybe somebody can shed some light onto that.
Anyway, in my opinion this is a wonderful record and highly recommendable for everybody who loves Herbie's music and the Rhodes piano.
Tuning instruments makes the band sound thin!