Author Topic: Rhodes key bushing replacement video  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Plasticbanana

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Rhodes key bushing replacement video
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »
I had to replace a few of the bushings for a second time. I had put too much in(5/8" instead of 1/4") on the end rail of the first few keys that I'd done, and the keys were sticking as a result. I've seen a few requests on the forum for a video. This is where I landed with the process.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated considering some of the posts I've read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6xjWmts9eg&feature=youtube_gdata_player
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:15:38 PM by Plasticbanana »

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
Re: Rhodes key bushing replacement video
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:32:07 PM »
Interesting.
I've been cutting the individual pieces to size before gluing. I think I also used too much felt on my first set.

I propped the cut pieces against each other in the hole then jammed the metal clip down between them. So far, this has always resulted in a good fit.

So, when you trim the felt, do you leave a little to fold over onto the square ledge at the top of the hole?

The original bushings seemed to fold over the ledge, but they also seem to have no thickness there.. It may just be the felt's nap folded over but there was definitely glue on that ledge.

I don't feel I can fold the VV felt like that.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Offline Plasticbanana

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Rhodes key bushing replacement video
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »

I don't feel I can fold the VV felt like that.

I agree.

I considered cutting the pcs first but read a post about them slipping/moving around upon using the clip(provided in the VV kit). 

This process went fairly quick. I did 73 keys in 3 nights....6 or 7 hrs.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:41:12 AM by Plasticbanana »

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:37:14 AM »
No, you ALWAYS trim bushings after the glue dries. That is the way piano techs are taught.

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »
In another thread, SlowMonroe cautioned us that a complete re-bushing job requires more than one size of felt. It's unclear if he meant felt of a different thickness or the same material cut to a different size but I'm concerned about my front guide bushings.

The guide pins are narrower than balance pins and the guide hole appears to be slightly larger than the balance pin hole, although my measurements have been inconclusive on this point. What I do know is that the new balance bushings make for a very snug fit while the new front bushings allow the keys to shift back and forth too much.

Should I be using a longer piece of felt or do I need to find thicker material? I'm using the felt supplied with the Vintage Vibe bushing kit.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

• MIDI Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 05:38:30 PM »
No, the front rail pins are oval because if the keys are too loose, you can turn the pins to make a snugger fit, or visa versa. No joke, this is why they are not round like the balance rail pins. There is even a special piano tool made to turn the pins without removing the keys (in an acoustic piano, where you can remove the keyslip) but the tool is junk metal and breaks eventually.

1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »
No, the front rail pins are oval because if the keys are too loose, you can turn the pins to make a snugger fit, or visa versa. No joke, this is why they are not round like the balance rail pins. There is even a special piano tool made to turn the pins without removing the keys (in an acoustic piano, where you can remove the keyslip) but the tool is junk metal and breaks eventually.

I'll be... I once saw a discussion of turning the front pins to achieve a tighter fit but I didn't pick up that it was the actual purpose behind their oval shape.

So, you're saying that using the same sized felts at both pin holes is the proper way to proceed?
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

• MIDI Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
Well, I should have reworded slightly, there still MAY be a need to use thinner felts on the balance rails in some cases,  but if the front bushings are too loose,that is the actual reason for the shape of the front rail pins....so you don't have to rebush the fronts unless they are very worn out or over-eased.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »
Thanks for your help.

Sounds like I may rethink replacing the front bushings. They're really not that bad. I was just doing it for completeness while attending to the balance felts. The keys wiggle more with new bushings than with originals so it seems counterproductive.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 06:48:25 PM »
A 5mm deep-well socket works well for rotating the guide pins.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys