News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Wurlitzer 111

Started by AFeastOfFriends, April 10, 2012, 12:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFeastOfFriends

There's a Wurlitzer 111 for sale near me (some of you might have seen it), and it's kind of grabbed hold of my curiosity. I've done a fair bit of searching, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information, let alone pictures.

I'm kind of interested in it, but it's currently $300, which I feel is too much. It right off the bat has a broken reed and two notes that don't sound loudly. It plays though, which means I wouldn't have to replace any tubes or anything like that, or at least immediately.
One peculiar thing is, is that in the picture (not a very good one at that) the model number doesn't look a whole lot like "111". It looks more like "112". The picture is of too low of quality, but the last digit doesn't really look like a 1.

So, in not being able to find any info on them, and having no experience in Wurlis, I have some basic questions.

First, what are these pianos worth? I've gotten the idea that the 112-era Wurlis don't have a whole lot of value and are a huge pain to work on, so they really only hit around $400--ish.

Does anybody know what color these usually are? I know 112s are that sort of purpleish tan color, but the 111 for sale here is a black, but it looks like it's painted over a purple surface.

How does the sustain pedal work on a Wurli, and how difficult is it to make one? The Rhodes sustain pedal is pretty straightforward, but the Wurli seems more complex.

What sort of output does it have? 112's have either the built-in speakers, a headphone out, or an aux. out, right? Would either one of these be suitable for running to an amp?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
And any advice on what price I should see if I can get, if it's even worth messing with, is even more so appreciated.

pianotuner steveo

The 111 is EXTREMELY rare, and if it really is a 111, I would snap it up, QUICKLY, then worry about the details later. You can always resell it (for a profit maybe) later. It is more likely that it is a 112, but they are getting hard to find now also. I would still buy it myself if I could. I have never owned any models prior to the 120.

They were not black.  It's too bad it was painted. It would be worth more if not. The 100,110,111,112,112A, and 140 series were all variations on a tan/ grayish tan pebble finish.
I have never seen a 111 in person, only photos. The 120 was either tan or available in a wooden
cabinet with cherry finish.

The pedal is cable operated, but I do not know if that one mounts below like most others or on the side like the 112.

There's no aux out on a stock 112, I seriously doubt the 111 has one. The signal can be taken from the headphone out, then modified or run through a preamp, or the little box that Vintage Vibe sells. 
I would not try to modify the amp

This model does not have vibrato, and is not the most desireable model to play, but again, IT IS RARE and I would buy it today if I could.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

AFeastOfFriends

I talked to the guy, and it is a 111. And I also asked him, and the damper pedal mounts to the bottom and it has a headphone out and a "line out".

I didn't get it though. Turned out to be much farther away than his ad said, and I don't have the money to spend. Or room for it anywhere.

pianotuner steveo

Where isit located?

Is it on craigslist?

1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Rob A

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/2945189662.html

QuoteI have a Wurlitzer 111 electric piano. It powers up and plays, but has 1 key that doesn't sound (d3), and two that you have to play hard to hear (f1 & g4). Other than that it powers up and plays as expected. It is an old tube amplified system with a speaker in the back. The volume knob has static when it's turned. I've cleaned it up some since these pictures were taken. I blew all the dust out of the inside and between the keys and dusted it off overall. This would make a good project for someone who wants the old wurli sound or an investment to rebuild and sell for quite a bit of money. Vintagevibe.com sells all the stuff you need to fix it up. Price is negotiable, cash and local only.

Fred

The 111 is a really cool old Wurli. I believe early to mid 1955 only, as I own a 110 dated 12/54, my 111's keybed is dated 3-55, and my 112 is dated 10-55.

It does have (in addition to the "headphone" out) a "speaker" out.

The sus pedal does not mount to the bottom of the piano. The seller is either misinformed, or the piano was modified, though the pictures do not indicate that.

Really great (albeit different) tone, and a true piece of history. Funny how us "keyboard players" get such sticker shock... An electric guitar this rare could fetch tens of thousands.
Head Designer of the Vintage Vibe Tine Piano
Collector
Electric Piano Technician in New Haven, Ct.
(203) 824-1528

Rob A

My boss (guitar player, how's that for irony) was considering buying it.

AFeastOfFriends

I'm still not sure if I'm going to let it go by, it depends on how much money my Rhodes repair costs and how much I shell out for Record Store Day. Bad time to take the Rhodes to the shop though, if I hadn't, the decision would be a lot easier.

I asked if there was any sort of box connected to the side (since the 112 has a box on the side that hooks up to the pedal) and he said no, the only thing on the side is the recessed area with the outputs. Is the 110 connected on the side or bottom? Maybe it was changed somewhere during production?

That is funny though, but guitars are worth more having a larger market. I know dozens of people my age who play guitar, but I am the only avid keyboard player.

Fred

On the side opposite the outputs, there are holes where the sus pedal hooks up. 112A (I think 1957ish, essentially a 120 action in the 112 case) is the first model to have the pedal attachment on the bottom.
Head Designer of the Vintage Vibe Tine Piano
Collector
Electric Piano Technician in New Haven, Ct.
(203) 824-1528

$7Haircut

I am pretty sure that this is the piano that I bought off of craigslist last night from a guy in North Kansas City.  I have owned many Rhodes pianos and a Wurlitzer 200A, but had not even heard of this 111 model until seeing this Craigslist ad.

This guy's sister bought this used (she was the second owner) in the 50's and the piano has been in his family ever since.  The piano's exterior is dinged up and painted over (black) but the inside looks very clean and untouched.

This is indeed a 111, not a 112 (according to the metal tag on the back).

Sadly, there is no sustain pedal.  I hope to find one or (more likely) build one.  Does anyone know where I can find information on the sustain pedal for these?

The piano action seems okay, but the notes are very much out of tune.  Where can I find information on the best method to tune one of these things?  I know that it involves adding or removing solder from the tines but it looks nearly impossible to do while the tine is installed.  Is there a method of tuning the individual tines outside of the piano?

There are a few notes that don't play, but it appears to be a simple misalignment of the hammers.  One tine is broken and I can replace this easily enough.

Given that the original paint has already been painted over, I am thinking about refinishing and repainting the exterior a different color to give it some personality.

If anybody has information on this 111 that might be helpful I would very much appreciate it.  Also, let me know if you would like photos or other information on this model.

Also - does anybody know if this was the keyboard Ray used for "What'd I Say"?  After hearing the tone I have high hopes!
Hohner Clavinet D6
Wurlitzer 111

pianotuner steveo

Ray used a 120 on What'd I Say. VERY close to this model. Wurltzers have reeds, not tines. The correct reeds will be difficult to obtain. You sharpen the pitch by filing solder off of the tip. You can add solder ( difficult) or beeswax (easier, but still difficult) to the tips to flatten the pitch.

I do not know where to find pedal info on this model.

1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

AFeastOfFriends

Funny that you bought it. I'd been thinking about calling the guy again since I sold off some old stuff and had a little bit of spare cash.

Oh well, should probably put that towards the Rhodes anyways, seeing how I haven't finished that project yet.