custom miracle mod amazing !!

Started by martin, June 01, 2012, 06:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin

hi, i just installed a custom version of the miracle mod, by adding bumps

it feels really light compared to how it was. there is little hammer bounce now. whats more amazing is it took me about an hour. i  highly recomend this mod to anyone with the same action - mine is a '77 with plastic hammers with felt on the bottom, i left the felt on the bottom of the hammers, and put the bump on the edge of the pedalstal, it plays amazing now, it also reduced the key bounce.

next i am going to replace the grommets, and maybe extend the 2nd to top tip range down to middle C!!!!!
'77 stage rhodes mark 1>'73 traynor ygl3a mark III>'60's selmer pa100sv>Wurly200a>Nord Stage Compact>hh ma100>1x12 fane twin cone speaker>smartlight pa>2xhz speakers>selmer pa100>Samson Auro D210 active pa cab

spradders

Hi - I've been thinking about doing this - you've convinced me!

What was the product you bought? The link below just goes to a search error page.  And what glue did you use? And how did you cut the rod?

Thanks!
Mike.

martin

b
'77 stage rhodes mark 1>'73 traynor ygl3a mark III>'60's selmer pa100sv>Wurly200a>Nord Stage Compact>hh ma100>1x12 fane twin cone speaker>smartlight pa>2xhz speakers>selmer pa100>Samson Auro D210 active pa cab

martin

i used super glue, and nail sciccers to cut it

David Aubke

I use a very conservative amount of medium viscosity super glue to hold the bump in place, then glue the felt down over top. I've used wood glue and, more recently, hot hide glue for the pedestal felt.

The Miracle Mod is definitely a must-have on pianos with flat pedestals. The difference is night and day.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

pianotuner steveo

Felt over the bumps helps prevent them from falling off and cuts down on noise a little.

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Dzdpgtehu

I would like to have more informations about the product for making the bump, the link is erased.
I have a 76Mark 1 and I want want to try this custom miracle mod!

Thanks
Rhodes Mark I Suitcase 88 1977
Wurlitzer 200a 1979 Electric piano
Hohner Clavinet D6 Electric Harpsichord
Columbia Elepian Electric Piano
Yamaha CP60m Electric Piano
Yamaha YC20 Combo Organ
Roland VK9 1977 Clonewheel
Korg Polysix Analog Synth
Nord Electro 2 61

spradders

koipond

I used the 1/2 round rods from amazon and started on my bump mod, about 1/3 of the keys done.  I used some left over PVC pipe cement on a Mark I, just the bare bump and no felt on top.  Yes, it is a night and day difference!  I'm very happy with the results.
'77 Rhodes Stage 73
?   Wurlitzer 200a

David Aubke

Quote from: koipond on July 08, 2012, 02:38:20 AMI used some left over PVC pipe cement on a Mark I,

Huh. I wouldn't think would work at all. I thought PVC cement was just a solvent, not an adhesive - that it only worked by melting two plastics together and would do nothing when applied to wood.

I guess if it sticks, it sticks.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

AFeastOfFriends

I'm looking to do this as a much cheaper alternative for the miracle mod, but how much do you need to order? I can't seem to find any info on how much you get.

Alan Lenhoff

Other websites selling the same product indicate that a pack includes 5 sticks, each 250mm (9.8") long.  I'm not near my Rhodes to measure it, but it's possible one pack might be all you need.

Alan
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Find it on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762/

1965 UK Vox Continental;1967 Gibson G101 organ; 1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; 1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73; 1972 Rhodes Sparkletop Piano Bass; 1978 Hohner Clavinet D6; 1968 Hohner Pianet N II; 1966 Wurlitzer 140B; 1980 Moog Minimoog Model D; 1983 Roland JX-3P; 1977 Fender Twin Reverb; 1983 Roland JX-3P synth; Vox AC30CC2X amp.
(See the collection: https://vintagerockkeyboards.com/ )

spradders

I bought one pack and have a stick left over.

koipond

Quote from: ShadetreeKeys on July 08, 2012, 09:09:41 AM
Quote from: koipond on July 08, 2012, 02:38:20 AMI used some left over PVC pipe cement on a Mark I,

Huh. I wouldn't think would work at all. I thought PVC cement was just a solvent, not an adhesive - that it only worked by melting two plastics together and would do nothing when applied to wood.

I guess if it sticks, it sticks.

Yeah, I thought the same, but I figured what the heck?  It's there.   ;D  I used Weld-On 700 PVC cement.  I don't expect the bumps to stay on forever, but it was great for placement.  I lucked out that my bumps are glued to the edge of the pedestal.  If/when they fall off, I'll probably use Super Glue.

I also ordered one pack and it looks like enough material for my 73; not sure about 88.
'77 Rhodes Stage 73
?   Wurlitzer 200a

Iamkellen

I've just ordered one pack for an 88 key, so i'll let ya'll know if one pack will do a whole 88. Fingers crossed!

guizmo

Hi, could someone here give me the bump dimensions please ?
Thanks

Alan Lenhoff

I'm not sure there's a correct answer for this. If you follow the Amazon link above, it gives the dimensions of a bump that some of the people here seemed to have success with.  I don't know the dimensions of the Vintage Vibe bumps, which have been used with great reviews for many years.  But several years ago, I wanted to buy a bump mod setup from another well-known vintage keys shop. I was told that every piano is different, and they test several different size bumps (and bump locations) before installing them on pianos.  Since I live hundreds of miles away from that shop, at my urging, they shipped me what they called an "average" size bump. It is considerably smaller than the half-round sticks that Amazon is selling.

(In the end, after carefully making adjustments, and cleaning and lubing the action on my '74, I decided the action was excellent. So I never installed the bump mod. I don't doubt that the mod makes a great improvement in many Rhodes pianos, but not every piano needs it.)   

If I needed a bump mod kit today, I would buy the Vintage Vibe kit. They probably have more experience with this than anyone.  And while you could likely save some money buying from Amazon (and hope you bought the right parts), this is a labor-intensive job you wouldn't want to have to do twice. 

Alan

1965 UK Vox Continental;1967 Gibson G101 organ; 1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; 1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73; 1972 Rhodes Sparkletop Piano Bass; 1978 Hohner Clavinet D6; 1968 Hohner Pianet N II; 1966 Wurlitzer 140B; 1980 Moog Minimoog Model D; 1983 Roland JX-3P; 1977 Fender Twin Reverb; 1983 Roland JX-3P synth; Vox AC30CC2X amp.

guizmo

Thanks for your reply !

I did not open the amazon link and they say : 125'' Dia � 0.0625'' H � 10'' L.
So there's a part of the answer.
When the topic was created, it was difficult to not buy the parts but now in 2020, if I could know the average dimensions, it could be easy to 3D print them at different thickness.

And, you're right, every piano is unique, and maybe mine doesn't need the mod. When I got it, I dismantle it and began the restoration. So when it'll be finished I'll see.
But it's an early 1973 fender, so I think it will need the mod.

On another side, I've got a 1971 Buz Watson with the Marcel curve pedestal, it's unmodified and he's perfect. A bit heavier than my 77, but what a pleasure !!!

Thanks

Alan Lenhoff

>>But it's an early 1973 fender, so I think it will need the mod.>>

I had a '73 for a while and the action was very heavy. So I don't doubt that yours may be, too.

>>On another side, I've got a 1971 Buz Watson with the Marcel curve pedestal, it's unmodified and he's perfect.>>

I have a piano bass with the Marcel curve, and it's great as it is, too.

Alan

guizmo

Thanks Alan !

I'm also searching for different felts used on Rhodes piano.
I need the key pedestal felt thickness, I read on the forum that a .08" is an average good thickness.
I need too the key bushing felt thickness, and I think that this one is thinner.
Could someone help me on that ?

I don't know where to find this stuff, I live in France and it's way more difficult than in US.

David Aubke

These measurements were taken from a VV bump

Here's a SketchUp model I made.
MiracleModBump.skp
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

guizmo

Whaooouh !!! Thanks a lot !!! that's exactly what I needed !!!