Author Topic: suitcase headphone jack  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Abraham

• Mark I
    • View Profile
suitcase headphone jack
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »
Just wondering if this could be found locally, just I don't know what to ask for. Maybe some of you know of a generic parts provider which sells such as components. Please notice this isn't a generic stereo jack socket since it also disconnects power amp whenever something is plugged in

Mine is making a bad connection to the left channel, which may not sound eventually. Of course it only takes to insert a jack and move it around to get it back, but i'm getting tired of this not working properly

1976 Rhodes MKI '73 Suitcase
1976 Wurlitzer 200-A EP
1981 Casio VL-Tone (Yeah!)

Offline SuitcaseSeventyThree

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: suitcase headphone jack
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »
Abe,

It's a Switchcraft 14B, available from many sources.

Here's the "for sure" real thing :

http://www.vintagevibe.com/p-601-headphone-jack.aspx

Like a lot of components, over the years it may have oxidized, gotten "gummed up", or simply been "knocked about" from use and tinkering.
  With all those wires attached to it (as its mounted in the amp),
it can be a pretty fussy (but plenty do-able) job to replace it.
  So, before you order a new one and swap it out,
get in there and carefully scour the points on it where the 1/4" plug makes contact - the sleeve (inside the main barrel, or cylinder) and the two "arms". Just use a small file, emery cloth (fine sandpaper), or anything that will gently but thoroughly scrape the metal at the point(s) of contact back to its original "shiney" condition. At the same time, a shot of contact cleaner goes a long way to improve your results.
 ALSO - look very closely, and make sure that none of the exposed wire ends soldered to the leads are touching and shorting each other. If they are, just gently pry them apart with a small screwdriver or needle-nose pliers. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:16:26 AM by SuitcaseSeventyThree »

Offline Abraham

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »
Thank you, I just made a search for "Switchcraft 14B" and found this locally for under $5

I have got around this several times cleaning and scrubbing contacts with no success to date, and its a tedious job to unscrew the whole cabinet+power amp then put it all together just to try out if it worked. I just plan to replace it for a new one and definitely fix it for ever (or else for another 30+ years)

thank you!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:01:53 PM by Abraham »
1976 Wurlitzer 200-A EP

Offline Abraham

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
A friend found this and gave it to me for free:

It doesn't look the same (not a problem really as it's hidden inside the power amp) but does the job BETTER than the original part, once you figure out the pin numbering correspondence.

btw... HOW TO FIX A BAD ONE (without replacing):

Once I took apart the original one, I managed to fix it. It had a loose contact on one of the open circuits, preventing it from connecting again properly (causing a single channel not to work at all). After some tweaking I managed to find the best way to fix it. It's simple but it was tricky to come up with this so I'd like to share my findings here for anyone who could benefit: You have to bend both sides of the open circuit WHILE A JACK IS INSERTED into the socket. You have to make sure they're as close as possible WITH A JACK STILL INSERTED.  That way they will make a tight contact when you get this unplugged... makes sense, right?
1976 Wurlitzer 200-A EP