News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Finally Getting My Old Rhodes Into Game Shape

Started by drums1225, June 30, 2012, 05:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drums1225

Hey all,

As you can probably tell from my username, I'm a drummer; I also play guitar and bass, but my favorite instrument in the world is the Rhodes, and not coincidentally, my favorite style of music is jazz funk. The classic Rhodes sound just transforms my mood instantly. While I don't play keys, other than banging out a few chords, and noodling with some pentatonic riffs, I knew I HAD to have a Rhodes in my studio. Maybe someday, I'd even learn to play a bit.

About 8 or 9 years ago, I casually mentioned--to the owner of a music store where I teach-- that I was looking for a Rhodes. The store doesn't deal in keyboards, so I just figured I'd put it out there. He said he happened to have one in his basement and was dying to get it out of there. I thought he was screwing with me... He said "PLEASE TAKE IT. You can keep it until someone wants to buy it". (Someone actually inquired about it about a year after I took it home... I said "No way am I giving it up! I'll buy it from you"! The asking price was $350, and if I remember correctly, he gave it to me for $300.)

Never having seen a Rhodes up close, I went to pick it up. The piano is a 1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73. It was pretty beat up, at least cosmetically. The tolex was shot and the handles were broken. Upon removing the case lid, I observed that the "Seventy Three" script logo only said "Seventy Th" and that a few of the keys were chipped, but all were functionally fine. My friend pointed out a modification that had been made that split the output into 3 XLR jacks on the back. It came with a homemade "3 channel snake" (3 XLR to 1/4" cables, zip tied together). The sustain pedal was included, but the rod was missing. Or at least it is now. (Just ordered one from Vintage Vibe).

From the condition of the exterior, this piano was clearly a workhorse for someone, but had been sitting untouched for many years before I acquired it. The keys and action were pretty sound. I had a keyboardist friend check it out and he said the action and feel was among the best he had felt on an old Rhodes, especially compared to the action on his Rhodes Mark I which he describes as "mushy".

Because I didn't have room for the Rhodes in my drum studio, it unfortunately sat in my mom's garage for a few more years, untouched. Eventually, in 2008, I bought a house and the Rhodes finally has a home in my new studio.

The piano has its issues, but since I only really screwed around on it once in a blue moon, I just left it as is. I've recently decided to become at least semi-competent on keys. I also decided to start a jazz funk project and want to entice good keyboard players to come over, jam and do some recording, so I want to get it tuned, voiced, and set up, and I'd like to assemble some essential effects pedals.

That's what brought me here. I look forward to learning more about this amazing, inspiring instrument, and interacting with other Rhodes lovers.

Best,
Chris

1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73 with Split Mod

spradders

Excellent!  I've found this forum really really helpful - so feel free to ask any questions as you start to get things together.

Rob A

Welcome Chris--I'm a piano player who recently went to the dark (drum) side. Either way, you are for sure in the right place.

AFeastOfFriends

That XLR mod sounds interesting. Do they all go into one 1/4" or do they go to their own 1/4" plugs? Does it split into top, mid, bottom or is it just three of the same signal?

Either way, congrats on the good deal and getting into Rhodes pianos. I paid $350 for mine and it was in horrible shape. Although, currently it's in 10-20 pieces, so i can't really say it's better off.

David Aubke

Quote from: drums1225 on June 30, 2012, 05:47:45 AMI had a keyboardist friend check it out and he said the action and feel was among the best he had felt on an old Rhodes, especially compared to the action on his Rhodes Mark I which he describes as "mushy".

Your friend likely has an older model. Prior to, what was it, 1977?, the key pedestals (the part that contacts the hammer) were shaped differently. "Mushy" is a very common adjective for those older models. Your friend needs to install the Miracle Mod.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

drums1225

Quote from: AFeastOfFriends on June 30, 2012, 07:16:39 PM
That XLR mod sounds interesting. Do they all go into one 1/4" or do they go to their own 1/4" plugs? Does it split into top, mid, bottom or is it just three of the same signal?

Either way, congrats on the good deal and getting into Rhodes pianos. I paid $350 for mine and it was in horrible shape. Although, currently it's in 10-20 pieces, so i can't really say it's better off.

Thanks for the interest. The split mod is 3 separate XLR outputs on the back of the piano, splitting the harp into 3 zones (lo, mid, hi). There's a 2 position toggle switch inside that apparently switches between "3 zone" mode, and, well, I'm not completely sure, but probably all one signal.

Honestly, the three way split can be impractical. I kind of wish it didn't have that mod. Unfortunately, the front "input" jack doesn't work, nor do the volume or tone control knobs. The other drawback is that I can't just plug the Rhodes into an amp and/or effects pedals. I need a mixer for the 3 separate outputs. Currently, I have it plugged into 3 channels on my Mackie 8 Bus mixer, then just through my studio monitors. I'm open to any ideas, and when I have a minute, I plan to start another thread asking advice on ways to deal with the issues presented by the split mod.

Best,
Chris
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73 with Split Mod