Author Topic: Sad  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Dan Belcher

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djbelc01
Sad
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »
I stopped in my local Music Go Round used instrument store yesterday and glanced over at the keyboard section when I walked in, and got all excited when I saw this!

This is only the second Rhodes I have ever gotten a chance to actually personally play in my life. Outside of the one sitting next to me right now, I have never been around one in person except for watching bands like Steely Dan and Boz Scaggs use a Rhodes on the stage in concert. So I was extremely excited just to get a chance to check it out.

Upon closer inspection, it was a 1977 Stage 73. The tolex wasn't in bad shape, but it was missing the harp cover logo, and the harp cover was very badly scratched all over, and the whole thing was dirty and grimy. Nothing too bad. But the thing that caught my eye the most was this:

The entire keyboard looked this rough! It needed either a new set of keys (not always the easiest thing to find) or some serious recapping work.

Then I tried playing the piano. It felt like the keys were floating in a bed of jelly. The action was incredibly mushy and slow. The tines and tonebars all sounded like they were in pretty good shape, and they had a much more aggressive, barky tone than my 1978 Stage 73 I have at home. Unfortunately, even the best sounding notes were extremely muddy sounding, and the entire thing needed to be completely revoiced and the strike line needed to be readjusted. Not huge deals, but in its current condition it sounded abysmal. Also no sustain pedal and no legs.

And yet they wanted $600 for it! I know the value for Rhodes pianos is higher than it has been in quite some time, but that's still asking way too much for this piano in my opinion when it needs hundreds of dollars in repairs and replacement parts. (Even the employee I was talking to agreed it was horribly overpriced) Makes me definitely appreciate how great of a deal I got on my piano ($200, a steal!). But it was also just sad to see such an amazing instrument in such poor condition. It's a downright shame so many people let their pianos fall into this condition without ever learning how to do even the smallest of tweaks and repairs to keep it sounding and playing the way it's supposed to. It made me honestly very sad to see it!
Proud owner,
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Sad
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
Funnily enough mine was in worse condition when I bought it in the UK and it cost me £700 about 3-4 years ago :S

Unfortunately I've seen some awful examples which are truly gutting, this MK1 88 I purchased for cheap and in the end I sold it off bit by bit for spares. I really wanted to restore it but in the end it was too far gone :(

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=6352.msg31256#msg31256

Edit: I just noticed you posted in that thread too! :)
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline Dan Belcher

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djbelc01
Re: Sad
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »
Supply and demand means you unfortunately tend to pay through the nose for a Rhodes outside of the USA it seems like. And yes, I remember that Rhodes. I can't say I'm surprised you had to abandon it. At least you didn't abandon it like its former owner or owners did at least -- they apparently just chucked it into the bottom of their swimming pool to get it out of the way...
Proud owner,
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73