Author Topic: Making a 70s stage compatible with janus speakers  (Read 1874 times)

Offline paulmulligan

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Making a 70s stage compatible with janus speakers
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:18:24 AM »
Can anyone please tell me specifically  what you would have to do to make a stage with preamp built in compatible with a pair of janus speakers. i am in australia.The janus speakers each have their own amp. Is this possible. The bloke who wants to sell me the speakers said he ran them s using a sound card.My rhodes  used to have satellites with master and slave system.

Offline musomarc

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: Making a 70s stage compatible with janus speakers
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:14 AM »
Hi Paul,
From what I know,you just need a 5 pin cable to go from the preamp ( available on Ebay US, but there is a 5 pin and 4 pin cable) on the piano to the janus box.The janus box will supply power to the piano's preamp and the 5 pin cable will carry the audio signal as well to the powered Rhodes Janus speaker box.
I'm in Australia as well.
 :)Regards

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:54:45 AM »
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately the Janus system runs on a different voltage to the Peterson system you have installed. It wouldn't be a case of using a 5 pin to 4 pin connector as this will damage the boards.

Personally if you really wanted to use the Janus system I would buy a late MK1 suitcase preamp (with rail) and use that instead of trying to mod the Peterson preamp. The earlier preamp is worth more so you could easily offset your costs.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
I'd agree on the above posts, but if you really need to have it how you want it - you basically would need to power the peterson preamp separately, and just take pin 2 and 3 to stereo audio lines with 1/4" end connectors, and 1/4" cables directly in to the Janus speaker inputs.  You wouldn't be able to use the 5-pin jack on the Janus.  They're really for powering the Janus preamp anyhow so just use them as 1/4" input speakers.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet