Author Topic: Quality chorus pedal for around $100?  (Read 4495 times)

Offline AFeastOfFriends

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Quality chorus pedal for around $100?
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
I've been looking to get a chorus pedal for my Rhodes, but haven't really been able to find a consensus on which one is best (aside from the pricey CE-1).
Around $100 is the budget, what's the best chorus pedal I can get for around that?

The CE-5 looks promising, but I've read it sounds a bit sterile due to it being digital. Also, I'd be using it with a Deluxe MemoryMan and a Phase 90, if that has any effect on which one would work best.

Thanks!

Offline Cormac Long

• Administrator
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
    • The Electric Piano Forum
Re: Quality chorus pedal for around $100?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 02:46:58 AM »
I recently ordered an Electro Harmonix Neo Clone. Won't have it for several days. But reviews were good for it. It was the same price as a Small Clone, the larger form factor. But the electronics are supposed to be the same. Plenty of demos on YouTube etc.

I also ordered two more EH stomps... an Xo Pulsar tremolo and a micro Q Tron envelope filter so some fun ahead for me.

Offline Kim Jinkings

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:03:22 AM »
boss ch1 super chorus. Mine is the blue label (analog). Don't know about the new one.
really nice in stereo.

Offline Dan Belcher

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djbelc01
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »
Here's the Boss CE-5, just the mono chorus sound. (I can get you a sample of the stereo chorus later if you want, just ask).

http://soundcloud.com/dan-belcher/ce-5

Two takes of the same passage, one clean, one chorused. The knobs are all set at 12 o'clock except for depth at 2 o'clock. I recorded this direct through the outputs on Vintage Vibe's stereo vibe preamp, then used some serious EQ tweaking for tone and a multiband compressor/limiter to add some punch, plus some reverb. So there's no actual amp involved or anything, meaning this should hopefully show you the pedal's nature as far as sounding too digital or sterile. I personally feel it sound great.
Proud owner,
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73

Offline jean-papa

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 05:58:35 AM »
hi,
around 150$ i think (not shure, the prices aren't the same here in europe!)you can get the mxr m134 stereo chorus.
i tried many chorus pedals(well, not so many, but at least 10)and liked this one immediatly.
it's creamy, deep, and has enough control knobs to get the sound you need for a song.(important maybe,it's in 18v)
i use it in this video all the time, and change a few settings on the pedal at 1:17 and back at 1:50 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP7qaW24mec&feature=plcp

Offline AFeastOfFriends

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:12:09 PM »
Wow! Thanks both Dan Belcher and Jean-Papa for the recordings. They both sound great!

I like the sound of the MXR Stereo Chorus a decent bit more than the others I've heard. It seems to be a bit more 'full' sounding. The CE-5 sounds good too, but I feel it's a bit too cool and glossy for my tastes, where as the MXR sounds a bit more fleshed out. I think I'll do a bit more research on the MXR Stereo, definitely my favorite I've heard so far. Too bad it's $170 new, but they look to run around $100 used.

Thanks for the suggestions! If there's any more I'd love to hear them. (especially recordings, they're great!)

Offline AFeastOfFriends

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:59:21 PM »
After some more digging through the site's archives, I found that somebody recommended the Electric Mistress. There happens to be a reissue Deluxe EM on Craigslist, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it, or maybe some recordings by chance?

Offline AFeastOfFriends

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »
As a follow-up of sorts, I ended up getting the MXR Stereo Chorus, and I'm really loving it. Definitely matches everything and more that I wanted out of a chorus. Sounds great on my Ensoniq too, as well as the G101. It does the smooth shimmery chorus very well, and can also get very warbly. I'll probably get a flanger for anything too deep though.

Offline vortmaxx

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 11:45:56 PM »
I am looking to add some chorus to the mix, something with stereo inputs for around $100. I've found the TC Corona, and the Boss CE-20. Is there any love out there for either of these pedals? Are there any others worth considering in this range?