Author Topic: Modding Rhodes for weight saving  (Read 10576 times)

Offline okdk

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Rhodes for weight saving
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »
I just picked up a '74 stage 73 that needs some work.  So while it's out of it's case, I was curious how much weight the case is, top and bottom without the legs/pedal.  48.5 lbs!! 

I'm in the same spot as Goldphinga, have stairs to get my rhodes out to the car so really can't handle it myself on the home end of taking to a gig.  I've thought about just keeping a "gig" rhodes in the garage next to the car so I can load it fairly easy and then get the help on the other end.
'62 Hammond C3/leslie 122,  '74 Rhodes Stage 73, Vintage Vibe Legacy Classic 64, Yamaha Motif ES6, S90ES, Nord Electro 4

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »
How much does the piano part weight then?

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 04:00:20 PM »
So, still not had the bottle to cut up my Rhodes harp and keybed, so im going to buy a case for transporting the harp separately to the piano part. That way I have a the harp in a case total weight 35lbs approx and the Rhodes without harp at about 65lbs. Works for me until i find a better way. Thanks Bjammerz! Great advice!

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
Let me know how it works out.  Was just an idea but haven't gotten around to testing how it works out myself.  Good luck!
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »
Well I've been thinking on it for a while and there aren't any issues that I can see so far apart from the earthing but I'm working on a plan for a remove able earth wire and some quick release pins to replace the harp screws. It certainly makes the piano a lot more manageable! Great idea!

Offline Mark S 1

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 10:03:29 PM »
Right now my Rhodes is out of the case for rebuild (Stage 73) and that case is one heavy beast! I'm restoring this one to be a studio instrument, so weight isn't a concern, but if it was, I'd start with building a new case using extruded aluminum and either aluminum skin or very thin plywood. I'd also make the new case much smaller - loose the lid (make it part of the case), and don't store the legs and pedal in the lid (assuming it is a stage model).

I just went to my shop and lifted my Rhodes sans case (i.e. complete keybed, keys, action, harp, everything but the case and lid) and it was very manageable - certainly less weight than many guitar amps I've owned.

Offline zoooombiex

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »
Curious if there is any update on this?  I switched from gigging a Mk1-73 to a 54, and now to a MkV.  A little better each time, but overall it does seem like there should be a way to mfg an aftermarket case that you could use in place of the original wood...

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2015, 01:11:50 PM »
Aha! The thread rises again. Well, I had my mk2 rehoused in a lighter flightcase, knocked the weight down to 102 lbs, much more manageable and its fully touring ready- so couple of pounds more than a mkv currently but thats with a Janus front rail installed with the heavier rail/preamp and the case is much more sturdy than a mkv. With a normal rail it weighs 99lbs fully cased. Im planning on modding the innards next and once thats done (cutting down the damper rail, the harp wood and making new harp frame sides the weight will hit about 90lbs fully flightcased.