Author Topic: '74 Stage 88 - case latches. How many?  (Read 982 times)

Offline Julian

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
'74 Stage 88 - case latches. How many?
« on: December 27, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »
All,

I am partway thru re-furbing my Stage 88 & am wondering about the case latches. My piano has four latches on the lid, two on each end of the case.

The Complete Hardware kit from Vintage Vibe comes with two latches, presumably to be fitted on the front??

I'm a little concerned with the weight of the 88 lid that two catches might not be strong enough to hold the lid shut. What is the norm on these pianos?

Kind Regards

Julian

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
Re: '74 Stage 88 - case latches. How many?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »
According to bjammerz, small (single-knuckle) hinges = four latches, large (double-knuckle) hinges = two latches.

Perhaps because they don't carry the smaller hinges, VV does not offer a kit with four latches.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »
My sparkletop originally had the small latches.  They didn't work too well.  Large ones are much better.  Also put large hinges on it too.  Don't get hung up on authenticity.

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »
On a 1973 I recently did, I started to install large hinges but they didn't fit. The plate extended beyond the edge of the cabinet top. This was a cabinet with the flat front and I think the edge isn't as wide.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:27:09 PM »
I used hinges from Penn-Elcom - model #1993.  Not the exact one used on Rhodes, but it worked.

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
Yes don't get too hung up on the authenticity of how many latches etc. because it's not a really known thing that affects value, whereas modifications to vintage guitars etc. can affect value.  In most cases no one has any idea and they're more concerned if it's just generally restored or not.

I'd agree the larger hinges in the back are much better, and more widely available.  The later-style latches as well are much more durable and hold the piano much better. 

The authentic set up for 1974 is small single lip hinges in the back, and 4 later-style latches.  This isn't a bad set up, but if you wanted to do the large hinges and 4 latches (or even 2) it'll be great.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet