suitcase spearer placement, tremolo vs vibrato vs stereo

Started by dmetx1969, March 23, 2004, 02:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmetx1969

I'm getting ready to buy a Rhodes Eectric Piano. I've wanted one since I played one in highschool jazz band in 1986. I'll  be keeping it at home so I don't care about portability, but I want the stereo tremolo effect, especially if it can sound like Max Middleton's on Blow by Blow.

Here are my questions:

Fender Twin Reverb:
mono or stereo?
tremolo or vibrato or both? ("Vibrato" is so often misused to mean tremolo.)

Roland Jazz Chorus
tremolo or vibrato or both?

Suitcase amp
mono or stereo?
tremolo, vibrato or both?

If I get the suitcase and place it against a wall in my house, will the speakers face into the wall and not sound very good?

Thanks in advance.
David Erwin

Freddan

Hi!
The Twin and the JC-120 are guitar amps, so personally I don't like them at all. Especially when you play loud, they tend to diminish the range of a Rhodes. Besides that you also have to get two plus a stereo tremolo to get the stereo-effect.
For home use though, it's more a question of your own personal taste.
The only way to get a true StereoVibrato, ( it was Leo Fender who started calling tremolo for vibrato, hence the term "vibrato" on Fender amps as well )
is to install an original stereo preamp and to use either Satellite- or Janus-speakers that contain the original solid-state amp and speakers.
Facing the wall is probably not so good, but the original SuitcaseCabinet had speakers facing both forward and backward.

Let your ears decide!
Frederik "Freddan" Adlers
Rhodes Supersite Lead Historian, Content Provider and Scandinavian Rhodes-Tech since 35 years.
Peacefreak Service Center, Gothenburg Sweden
www.freddan.biz

Davy

If you need to have that sound then your looking at a '74 suitcase.I have one and it nails the blow by blow sound as well as "sheep" by pink floyd.Not all are the same at it were so keep looking untill you find one that has that magic.