News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Wurlitzer 700 restore

Started by earlywurly89, March 04, 2013, 02:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earlywurly89

Hello all those on ep-forum. I'm new to this forum and new to electric pianos as well. But I recently acquired a Wurlitzer 700 for pretty cheap and I'm really interested in restoring it.

I'm happy to report that the electronics all seem to work perfectly. It sounds great with no hum or crackle. I had an issue with the power light when I first got it but I pulled out the control panel just to take a look, and when everything seemed right and I put it back in it started to work! I was pleased by this and now the only issue I have is playability.

I plan on easing the keys, replacing all the felts (what's left of them at least), and a full regulation. My main concern so far is tuning, not looking forward to that at all.

I'm excited to really get started on this thing. I've done some minor cleaning but haven't went any further and am doing tons of research. So I'm just hoping to get some tips on restoring this beautiful Wurly and I'll keep up with my progress on here.

Thanks guys!

Oh yeah, I've attached some photos to this post as well. One of the full piano, and two showing the key bed before and after I cleaned it up a bit.

Rob A

Welcome to the boards--looking good!

earlywurly89

Thanks, Rob.

I had a specific question while I'm on here as well if any one's got the answer for me. When I'm playing my 700 it seems to constantly be in sustain.. I've looked at the damper felts and plenty are missing and the ones that are left are in terrible shape, so I assume this would have something to do with it. Is that correct? or is there something else I should look for trying to fix this sustain issue?

pianotuner steveo

No, that sounds like you are on the right track. If felts are missing, those notes will keep sustaining.. Also, the other felts may be worn and / or the pedal could be out of adjustment.

You will need the regulation tool to adjust the let off ( the single most important regulating step on this model). They are available on ebay. I have some used but nice damper felts if you need any.

PM me for more info, I am very familar with this model. I have one and my sister has one also.

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

earlywurly89

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wurlitzer-electric-piano-let-off-tool-112A-120-700-only-/221178744559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337f47ceef

That's what I'll need correct? And I was planning on purchasing damper felts from Vintage Vibe as well as balance rail felts and some key shims. If you think I'll be just as well with some good used ones pm me with some pricing info. Thanks, Steveo.

pianotuner steveo

1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

earlywurly89

So I picked up some Ronsonol and baby oil for lubing the key pins. But I have a quick question.

I did some research and found that apparently the new Ronsonol no longer contains naptha. On a guitar forum I found this excerpt that apparently came from a Zippo employee after someone inquired about the naptha content:

"Thank you for your email.  The Ronsonol fluid no longer contains naphtha."

So is Ronsonol still okay to use in place of naptha? The listed ingredient on the bottle is a 'light petroleum distillate'. I don't know enough about these solutions to know if it's okay to use. I would assume it wouldn't do any harm to the metal pins, but I also don't want to go through the process if it won't do any good.

Thanks, guys.

pianotuner steveo

Sorry, I did not know about that. I would assume it will be fine as long as you don't get it in the wrong places ( like electronics) or do not oversoak any felts.

You may want to test some on one or two keys first.

Remove the keys, lube the pins using a rag, replace the keys. A drop on a flange center pin should free up any sluggish parts too.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

sean

It would be hard to contend that "light petroleum distillate" and "naptha" are different things.

Rob A

Just let a few drops of the product evaporate, ideally o a glass plate or something that allows you to check the residue (if any) it leaves. If you get no crud after it evaporates, use it.

Naphtha can be purchased in paint stores around here, but in certain areas volatile organic compounds are getting harder to obtain.

Jezza

New damper felts, lubing the action, and adjusting the action can make a huge difference for very little cost.  Even seemingly working dampers are probably acting too slowly if they're old.  New felts will give you a crisper stop, sharper staccatos.

There are springs that help to push the dampers back down.  Replacing or re-shaping those can make a big difference too.  I opted to re-shape the old ones, giving them a shape that pushed much more firmly against the damper assembly.  That also helped to give me much cleaner articulation, and it was also a free fix.

Good luck and have fun!
- Jezza

Film composer and orchestrator: JeremyBorum.com
Author: GuerrillaFilmScoring.com