Author Topic: 1972 Fender Rhodes Executone (or is it?) I just aquired. Weird.  (Read 23158 times)

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: 1972 Fender Rhodes Executone (or is it?) I just aquired. Weird.
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »
On a '72?

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »

Thanks for this post;  very helpful.  This pic is the first one I've seen with that same attachment, and is exactly where mine is.  Mine has a black cable that snakes down to the gap and terminates in a mono male 1/8" cable, so your are probably right about it being for recording onto tape.  But where is your date stamp?  I thought they were all stamped in the upper right corner like mine is.

I had a basketcase Rhodes with this setup too.  Eventually I removed the attenuator network and cable/1-8" plug and sold the harp assembly.  I had no clue what that network was used for.  I do remember the datecode was in the early 70s.

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »
great YT video

Bandmaster Reverb has six dual triode tubes and two 6L6 power tubes.  The amp chassis in your piano shows six dual triode tubes and FOUR pentode 6L6 power tubes, with a badge that states 100w output.  You have a Twin Reverb chassis, AKA Dual Showman Reverb, Vibrosonic Reverb, Quad Reverb, Super Six Reverb, all the same chassis and circuit.  There is no other amp from that era that fits that description.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:11:38 PM by The Real MC »

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
On a '72?

It *does* sound like the Raymacs on my sparkletop - the hammer strike produces that trademark "thunk" and bell tone at the same time.

I used to own an early 70s stage piano with Torringtons and it didn't sound like that.

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 05:40:14 PM »
But I thought we'd just established that ray macs only went up to mid '71?
To me they sound like the torringtons on my may '72. uncannily so.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:43:47 PM by goldphinga »

Offline LeonSpinks

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »
here's another clip, mostly feedback with some playing at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwvJJc62H_c

On another note (heh), what exactly are Torringtons and Raymacs?  I've owned a few Rhodes before but never got all that nerdy about them.  Now I can't read enough.   Thanks!

Offline David Ell

• Vendor
  • Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
It sounds like Raymacs. I haven't been following this to close. What year is it? A '70 with felt tips in the bass?

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »
On another note (heh), what exactly are Torringtons and Raymacs?  I've owned a few Rhodes before but never got all that nerdy about them.  Now I can't read enough.   Thanks!

Rhodes used different manufacturers for their tines over the years.  Raymacs were the first generation, used up until '71 or '72.  Torringtons replaced Raymacs until about '78, when Schagler took over.  The durability got better with each transition, but the sound changed.  None of them are 'best', it is all subjective.

Offline David Ell

• Vendor
  • Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
Mid to late '75 is when Torringtons were gone. That's when Shaller's took over. But there are slight differences from late '75 to '84. No way does a '79 sound like a '76, but other techs have told me they are the same. Late '75 '76 have less highs. '77's have huge sustain and hardly ever a dead tine. I don't think I have found one.

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
1972 Fender Rhodes Executone (or is it?) I just aquired. Weird.
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »
I agree, is sounds like one of my Student Models, with Raymacs.

Did anybody else comment on the FOUR harp support brackets?  Double the standard.
Looks like it has the felt tipped hammers as well.
Looks like the kind of thing they might have sold to a church.
Cool.

Ray

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 02:31:50 AM »
yeah i saw those brackets...i reckon they are there to stop any further movement of the tonebar and pickup rails caused by the excessive vol vibration from sitting on that loud amp...thoughts?

PS Maybe it is raymacs..but could also be torringtons with felt hammers....thats something we dont hear that often..correct?

Offline LeonSpinks

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 03:49:18 AM »
Here's a shot of the hammers and felts:

And the lower tonebars:

What'dya think?

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »
Neoprene tps? Crazy.  Could'a swore that in a different photo, I saw felt tips.   Then again, by 72, that's what Fender was using.
The tips look in great shape.  Very little gap, or crystallization. you may still want to take a razor blade to them to get to soft rubber.

Perhaps you can flip the harp, and get some tight photos of the actual tines and tone blocks.
That would put all the Raymac v. Torrington stuff to bed.

Ray

Offline LeonSpinks

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 12:49:28 PM »
I know I took photos with the harp up but I can't find them.  I'll take a few more shots later when I'm back at the studio.  Maybe I have Tormacs.   :D

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2013, 02:02:57 PM »
Neoprene tps? Crazy.  Could'a swore that in a different photo, I saw felt tips.   Then again, by 72, that's what Fender was using.
The tips look in great shape.  Very little gap, or crystallization. you may still want to take a razor blade to them to get to soft rubber.

Perhaps you can flip the harp, and get some tight photos of the actual tines and tone blocks.
That would put all the Raymac v. Torrington stuff to bed.

Ray

Thats on the previous page...someone else with a similar piano but with square felt tips...

Offline LeonSpinks

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 04:10:10 AM »
http://soundcloud.com/thegreyzone/madammaladysrhodes

Some Rhodes goodness from earlier today. 

Offline LeonSpinks

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »
So I finally got around to removing all the keys. 

I have a can of food-grade silicone that was mentioned for lubing the pins.  Is it safe to (carefully) spray a little on the pins, or do they need removed?  It's mostly the bass keys that seem a bit on the sticky side.  (The inside is a lot cleaner than that pic shows, I cleaned it after taking the picture.)

Btw, I found a handy way to store the keys in order:

;D

And here's a shot of the tines and pickups:

Torringtons?  Raymacs?  Shallymacingtons?  Interesting bit of red coloration on a few of them.  Apart from the odd red one now and again they all look the same, at least to me. 

Thanks for any lube advice.

Offline David Ell

• Vendor
  • Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 12:10:03 AM »
It's hard to tell by the color of the springs on the tines. Raymacs are coated with paint, but not always. They sounded like Raymacs but look like Torrington. Who knows? You have the older 1 inch magnet pic ups. Boy are they in need of adjustment!   
 You want to lube the key pedestal felts. Saturate them good, let dry overnight. If the action is not faster in the morning, no lube will help. It would be time to replace them. Use an eye dropper for the pins. I could go on and on about that Rhodes but it's a full moon and there are deer to track.

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 12:24:41 AM »
They look like Torringtons to me.
The key peds seem to be from around '72, (with the bevel on the front edge of the pedestal) and by then Fender was using Torringtons.  Ditto for the Neoprene tips.  Don't think they were ever paired up with Raymacs.

Ray

Offline David Ell

• Vendor
  • Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 02:00:08 AM »
Sure Raymacs were paired up with neopream. The very first in fact. But you are probably right about them being Torringtons. The first neopream tips were multi colored. I noticed the pic up wiring is like a '71 or '72. The bass dampers are shorter like a late '72 early '73. But the range is different.
 What is now needed is a pic of the key dip using a ruler. That's what always interests me the most about these early Rhodes. 

Offline LeonSpinks

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »
It's hard to tell by the color of the springs on the tines. Raymacs are coated with paint, but not always. They sounded like Raymacs but look like Torrington. Who knows? You have the older 1 inch magnet pic ups. Boy are they in need of adjustment!   
 You want to lube the key pedestal felts. Saturate them good, let dry overnight. If the action is not faster in the morning, no lube will help. It would be time to replace them. Use an eye dropper for the pins. I could go on and on about that Rhodes but it's a full moon and there are deer to track.

Thanks for your insight.  Is it okay to get the lube on the paper spacers on the balance rail?   I haven't lubed anything yet;  I'm going to take the vacuum over and get as much dust out as I can before I do any more work on it. 

Offline LeonSpinks

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 09:26:45 PM »
Also I noticed this for the first time:

It's only under the lowest dozen or so keys (I didn't count).  I'm curious as to it's purpose. 

Offline David Ell

• Vendor
  • Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »
If done right, no lube will touch the papers. Also, the thickest cardboard washer should be on top of the papers, not under. It's not that big of deal to lube the balance pins. It's the key pedestal felts that need the spray lube. It will lighten the action and protect the hammer cam.
 The block of wood provides tension.

Offline David Ell

• Vendor
  • Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2013, 12:06:05 AM »
Spray the key pedestals outside of the piano. Install them and then lube the pins. Let the lube slide down the pins into the felt. It's also more important to lube the guide pins than the balance pins. I would just do the pedestal felts myself. You must use the right lube. You know what type by now.

Offline LeonSpinks

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2013, 12:25:05 AM »
Spray the key pedestals outside of the piano. Install them and then lube the pins. Let the lube slide down the pins into the felt. It's also more important to lube the guide pins than the balance pins. I would just do the pedestal felts myself. You must use the right lube. You know what type by now.

When you say "key pedestals outside the piano" are you referring to the felts?  I'm not entirely new to Rhodes' but I've never done anything like this, so the short-hand is mostly lost on me.  Thanks!

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »

When you say "key pedestals outside the piano" are you referring to the felts?  I'm not entirely new to Rhodes' but I've never done anything like this, so the short-hand is mostly lost on me.  Thanks!

Remove all the keys from the piano then spray the felt on the back of each key. Then put them back in the piano.

Offline David Ell

• Vendor
  • Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2013, 02:07:42 AM »
Take a picture of the key pedestal felts from overhead and or at a slight angle.

Offline LeonSpinks

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »
Take a picture of the key pedestal felts from overhead and or at a slight angle.

Will do later tonight.  In the meantime the rca pre-amp cable needs replaced.  Look how fun it is to unplug from the amp:

Luckily you don't have to entirely remove the amp, which is a very difficult job.  What I wound up doing was removing three of the four chassis screws, lifting the damper bar out of the pedal to bend it outward, and rotated the amp back as far as it would go, using a drumstick to prop that end of the amp up.  That gave me enough room to unplug the angled 1/4" cable and plug a new one in.  So insane is this machine. 

Offline LeonSpinks

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2013, 01:45:02 AM »

It's all back up and running.  Horrifyingly loud.  Feedback is fun, though.

Offline vanceinatlance

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2013, 01:58:31 AM »
What a cool and unique find! Very interesting how that amp was incorporated into the piano. Hope to see some more videos of it soon.

Just saw your listing on eBay. It would be interesting to know what you get for it. I would be tempted myself, but at 25k, I don't even think selling a few of my battered internal organs would get me there.  It is unique, and who knows, you might even be under what someone would pay.  Best of luck!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:21:48 PM by vanceinatlance »