Author Topic: Manzarek's "Riders" iso track  (Read 8351 times)

Offline Alan Lenhoff

• Vendor
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Manzarek's "Riders" iso track
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »
And the mystery deepens...

After we solve this, we can move on to investigate what really happened to Jim Morrison in Paris.  ;-)
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/

1965 UK Vox Continental;1967 Gibson G101 organ; 1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; 1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73; 1972 Rhodes Sparkletop Piano Bass; 1978 Hohner Clavinet D6; 1968 Hohner Pianet N II; 1966 Wurlitzer 140B; 1980 Moog Minimoog Model D; 1977 Fender Twin Reverb; Vox AC30CC2X amp.
(See the collection: https://vintagerockkeyboards.com/ )

Offline David Ell

• Vendor
  • Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »
It's sounding more like a twin to me now. Is that the spring reverb I hear? Could it be that the hard marimba sound in the midrange is just a combination of double strike plus damper kiss? It reminds me of how a fork sounds when you put your finger on the tone bar. Damper kiss and double strike sound like that. He is slamming those keys. 

Offline ForkintheRhodes

• Fiesta Red
  • NYC based keys player
    • View Profile
    • Instagram:
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »
Well what I can make out from what I hear during the solo is that you can hear the low end of the Rhodes playing the bassline, it's not a bass guitar. HOWEVER, in the beginning and during the verses he doesn't sound like he's playing a bassline. I don't see why he would play the Rhodes Piano Bass, just because it's one more thing to mike and it wouldn't sound as crisp on record as a bass guitar, hence Jerry Scheff on bass and a bassist on almost every studio track they did (except for "The End" and "When the Music's Over" where it's clearly a Rhodes bass. BUT, on the first album you can hear both Rhodes bass and bass guitar. The Rhodes has more of that groaning sound, and the bass guitar has more of that clicking, staccato sound. Prime example of that is "Soul Kitchen", it's a nice counterpoint.) Besides, putting a Rhodes bass on top of a Rhodes isn't like putting one on a Vox or Gibson organ, it's much higher up and kind of cumbersome. He probably just did the bassline in the Riders solo so he could have something to do with the left hand. Towards the mid-range the marimba sound comes out, but in the low end it's a pretty run of the mill low end Rhodes sound to me. BUT, the sound in general in the isolation sounds like it's hugging the high end, very treble-y, and the Rhodes in the photos doesn't have Janus controls, they probably did that with a Fender Twin and did the vibrato on the Rhodes itself. It sounds like it's tube drive to me in the solo when he hits the tines really hard, but I could be wrong.
1965 British Vox Continental
1967 Italian Vox Continental V-302
1979 Rhodes Mark I Suitcase 73
1980 Rhodes Mark II Stage 88
1968 Fender Rhodes Piano Bass
1957 Hammond M-3
2016 Hammond Sk-2
1964 Vox Buckingham Amplifier
1965 Vox Berkeley Amplifier
1968 Gibson G-101
1969 Vox Continental Baroque
1972 Fender Quad Reverb
1976 Leslie 860 Pro-Line

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 03:06:59 PM »
Yes on this version here he definitely didn't use a piano bass - 4:15ish when the solo ends and vibrato comes on, it's on both left and right hands.

Splitting hairs, the other fuel for the 1970 fire, is at 1:26 - the bass octaves don't sound like they came from a silvertop.

I know someone that has a 1970 original stage felt tips, maybe we can do a little experiment for kicks - silvertop vs. 1970 stage / twin.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
I wasn't that serious about him using the piano bass on top of the Rhodes, I just meant it was a possibile scenario.  Good catch Ben, on the vibrato around 4:15.  Didn't notice that before.

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »
Here's something interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAP-EIs3AWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFpuMFlKXjY

An early 1968 silvertop with Peterson preamp.  You can hear the stereo tremolo.  The ROTS descending lick is demonstrated in the 1st video.  You can hear how the Peterson preamp sounds cleaner and different from the Jordan preamp.

Offline David Ell

• Vendor
  • Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »
A '70 sounds out of this world with my pre amp. I recently did one and could not stop playing it. Remove the mud with the pre amp and it's sounds like a hopped up Wurly, only better.

Offline ummagumma

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2020, 12:21:13 AM »
 I have been trying to figure out the bass signal in this isolated recording: at first I thought it was just room bleed, or maybe he dubbed the bass seperately...it almost sounds like a different instrument compared to the right hand, since the level is drastically lower

*edit* I just realized Ray is not playing bass at all, until 1 minute. but you CAN hear the bleed from the bass guitar up until then. afterwards you have the bass gtr bleed plus Ray's left hand

but at 3:14 & 4:06 he hits a bass note that is almost as loud as the lead. So I think Ray was just playing the left hand much quieter than the right

if they had an 8 track I doubt they would have split up the keys

if vibrato was a footswitch, and that Fender amp is down by his feet, I'd think you might hear the click?

I hear vibrato from the beginning of the track until 1 min. then it turns off

and at 1:35 it sure kicks up! must have been a footwitch. then 1:58 switches off again. or maybe when they mixed it later on they added something?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:33:55 AM by ummagumma »

Offline Alan Lenhoff

• Vendor
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2020, 08:30:38 AM »
The Rhodes chapter I wrote in "Classic Keys" tells who played bass on a number of Doors recordings (some are bass guitarists, some were done by Ray, and some had both).  This was mostly based on an interview with Robby Krieger, and supports what you are hearing: Light My Fire has both bass guitar (Larry Knechtel) and left hand bass.

The volume differences you noted of the left hand bass versus the lead may have resulted from Ray playing his bass lines on a Piano Bass, rather than playing the bass in the low register of the 73.  Stop me if I'm telling you something you already know, but the tone filter circuit on the name rail of a Piano Bass removes upper harmonics, creating a rounder, more mellow and fundamental tone than what you'd hear on a 73.  Bass played on a 73 is not nearly as effective.  (Although they both would sound identical if you took the signal from each instrument off its harp, bypassing its name rail.) I don't know which instrument Ray used for his bass lines on that song, but generally there would be a good reason to use the Piano Bass if you had both instruments available.

Alan

1965 UK Vox Continental;1967 Gibson G101 organ; 1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; 1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73; 1972 Rhodes Sparkletop Piano Bass; 1978 Hohner Clavinet D6; 1968 Hohner Pianet N II; 1966 Wurlitzer 140B; 1980 Moog Minimoog Model D; 1977 Fender Twin Reverb; Vox AC30CC2X amp.

Offline ummagumma

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2020, 01:56:18 PM »

hmm, possible, but it doesn't sound like a piano bass to me: it has the fuller sound of a regular MKI to my ears?

especially check out the 2 loud notes at 3:14 & 4:06 in that isolated track

Offline Alan Lenhoff

• Vendor
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2020, 02:43:46 PM »
Even after listening to the track carefully -- and firing up my Piano Bass and my 73 -- I'll stick with my prior statement: "I don't know which instrument Ray used."  What makes the comparison most difficult for me is that my '72 Piano Bass with neoprene hammer tips doesn't sound like the '60's-vintage bass Ray typically used, probably with square tone bars and felt hammer tips.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine plays keyboards in Robby Krieger's band, and plays Ray's parts note-for-note. He says what he hears on ROTS is Ray playing the bass line on a Piano Bass, but an octave higher than the bass guitar to keep the bottom end from being muddy.  Is he right?  Well, he's got a great ear, but the recording was done decades before he was born, so he was hardly a witness.  So who can say?

Alan

Offline ummagumma

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2020, 07:01:02 PM »
 ha! well it is interesting to speculate!

why don't you ask your friend, to ask Robby what he remembers?

a piano bass would be conspicuous on top of the MKI, especially as it's not in any of the pictures of the sessions in their LA workplace

actually, I've always wondered where Robby's gtr amp was, as I think the amp by Jim's feet was a vocal monitor? maybe Robby had it in the other room? there is a darker Fender amp against the wall, but the other gtr player was plugged into it. and I saw an unused Twin beside the drum kit, against the wall on Ray's side
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:05:40 PM by ummagumma »

Offline ummagumma

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2020, 07:14:09 PM »
 another thing: I don't think the amp Ray used was a twin. it looks too tall to me, and the top speakers are side-by-side. so I think it's a 4x10 silver face Fender amp? SF twins had the speakers mounted diagonally

*edit* I guess I am wrong about that! the amp by Jim's feet is a twin and the speakers are side-by-side. weird my '73 SF twin was diagonal
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:35:07 PM by ummagumma »

Offline Eminor

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2020, 09:51:15 PM »
This isn't an isolated track but an interesting outtake (take 10) form the ROTS recording session. There's a few minutes of tuning and jamming at the beginning - maybe your ears can pick up a clue somewhere in there....?   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3lZC4NUpI

Also, some cool pics of the LA Woman sessions accompany the audio.

Chris

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2020, 06:12:23 PM »
If you look at the pics with the outtakes you can see it is definitely a stage piano. In at least one picture you can see the Wurlitzer that he used on a couple of tracks. (Queen of the Highway, I think?) and at least one track "Eye of the Storm" on Other Voices (post Morrison)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 06:15:00 PM by pianotuner steveo »
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline ummagumma

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
 Eminor, thx for posting that outtake!

and based on the photos, we can deduce the trem was the from Fender Twin & not the Rhodes, as a MK1 stage doesn't have trem

if he *was* playing a piano bass, it must have been plugged into the twin along with the MK1, as the trem syncs up right/left hand

and that twin by Jim's feet might have been Robby's, miked from behind? I don't see a mic in front of it

of course, I am assuming that the pics are depicting the setup they used, for this particular song: quite possibly they moved things around, and we don't have any photos of the actual recording in question