Author Topic: Eddie Reynolds Preamp Modifications  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Eddie Reynolds Preamp Modifications
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:11:06 AM »
Does anyone know what Eddie Reynolds did to the preamps of the Rhodes he worked on? I remember seeing the photos of the E and how that was upgraded

Leeds Rental E Piano

In the slide show on this page you can see an additional board with some components. Any idea what they could be?

Eddie Reynolds Suitcase

Thanks

Tim
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
Re: Eddie Reynolds Preamp Modifications
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:35:07 AM »
Hard to tell from just pictures, but it does appear to be processing the input right off the harp - note the shielded cable to that subboard which leads to the accessory jacks.

But comparing the preamp of the "E" and the other suitcase, the modifications are not the same.

Offline Tim W

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
    • Retrolinear Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »
Hello all,

I have already reverse engineered the 'floater board' Eddie Reynolds EQ as shown on the fenderrhodesla.com site once before.  I can't locate the schematic right now, but I do have it somewhere around here.  The floating board unit I analyzed required a split power supply (+/- 15V) not unlike the Janus preamp, in addition to the stock 24V for the tremolo circuit, so adding one to a Peterson base requires fairly extensive modification of the power supply unit.

The "E" piano appears to be a different circuit.  I'd be happy to carefully reverse engineer that as well if the owner was willing to send the preamp to us, but given that there is only one known one in existence, shipping it may not be the best idea.  Hi res photos could work, but may not allow us to uncover all the secrets.  I would also want to put it up on the Audio Precision to map out its characteristics, and then also verify everything with SPICE simulations.

In any case, while I am sure the "E" piano still works and has a unique sound, I highly doubt it is anywhere near where it was when the legendary recordings were made.  It probably needs to be brought back by a tech who knows what they are doing and can figure out how to properly understand the mods (both mechanical and electronic) that were done to it and then adjust the piano to work optimally within the characteristics of those mods.

Tim
retrolinear.com
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:33:37 PM by timengr1 »

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »
Hey Tim,

Thanks for the response!
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:46:40 AM »
Tim did you ever manage to locate that schematic?

Thanks!
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com