News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Just scored an early Sparkletop!

Started by voltergeist, September 24, 2013, 10:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

voltergeist

Just scored this baby.  Obviously needs some work, but the piano is in very good condition.  Teardrop hammers and untapered Raymacs.  Missing all original electronics (if you know where to find a Jordan pre- and power amp, please let me know!). 

Even in its current condition it's obvious what all the sparkletop fuss is about- it sounds gorgeous.  Very different from the MkI's. 
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

Tim Hodges

I'm sure these guys must still have some Jordan preamps left. Give them a go:

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=6132.msg30156#msg30156

Tim
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Student Rhodes

Or better still, get a Peterson and stick it in there.
They sound better (to some), they're stereo, and that's what Fender did at the end of the Sparkletop era.

Ray

voltergeist

I thought about a Peterson solution, but I'm really hoping to put it back to its original configuration.  I understand the Jordan system wasn't that great, anyway, but a different (external) amp could be used regardless of what's installed in the cabinet.  Given its rarity and good condition, I'd rather return it to what it was than create another Frankenstein.  I think all the original Tolex can be kept and repaired, so that's another reason for me not to make major modifications if at all possible.

Working on arrangements to have the legs replated.  Interesting sidenote: Chris at VV said he's never seen legs like are on this piano.  He didn't question that they're original, though.

Kind of agonizing over what to do about cabinet hardware.  The original stuff is in pretty good shape, but new stuff would look (and function, in the case of the hinges and latches) so much better.  Leaning toward replacing the hardware to sharpen the look and improve safety in transport, but keeping the original hardware with the piano.  Thoughts?
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

Ben Bove

Very interesting piano - I have seen those legs before, but only on very early sparkle tops.  Not sure if I can locate a picture but I can say they may very well be original.  As a side note - inside the speaker cabinet, on the bottom either on the left or right side, do you see any screw holes where a square amp might have been bolted down? 

The Jordan preamps were a reasonable and good sounding design - it's the power amp section that was pretty poor, just a very early solid state design.  Like you said, a different external amp could be used - perhaps you can power the preamp, have it run into a more modern amplifier in the cabinet through the speakers.

I have a Jordan power amp that is non-functional - it would be good as a face plate and the transformer only... if you wanted to use the faceplate section to run to a different amp.  Let me know
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

voltergeist

I've got a couple leads on fully functioning Jordan amp sets, so I'm going to run those to ground first.  If I can't get a working Jordan set, your faceplate would be just the ticket.  Thanks!

I'll look for screw holes next time I'm at the shop.

Rob A

Was this the one on KC Craigslist? The shots they posted of the hammers looked really nice.

voltergeist

Yep, it's the one from KC Craigslist.  Paid less than what he was asking on Craigslist, though. :)

voltergeist

Btw, I need to give kudos to the previous owner.  He had already had a buyer, but wouldn't sell it to him because he knew the guy was planning to part it out.  He also did a good job of keeping the piano intact when it was in his possession, and was purposefully looking to sell to a restorer.  Gold star.

The Real MC

Quote from: voltergeist on September 25, 2013, 11:26:34 AMKind of agonizing over what to do about cabinet hardware.  The original stuff is in pretty good shape, but new stuff would look (and function, in the case of the hinges and latches) so much better.  Leaning toward replacing the hardware to sharpen the look and improve safety in transport, but keeping the original hardware with the piano.  Thoughts?

http://www.analoguediehard.com/studio/keyboards/fender_rhodes/index.html#restoration

Quote from: voltergeist on September 27, 2013, 11:38:51 AM
Btw, I need to give kudos to the previous owner.  He had already had a buyer, but wouldn't sell it to him because he knew the guy was planning to part it out.  He also did a good job of keeping the piano intact when it was in his possession, and was purposefully looking to sell to a restorer.  Gold star.

Awesome!

The Real MC

Speaker cutouts for 2x12 or 1x10 plus 1x12?

voltergeist

The player-side baffle is missing, unfortunately.  The audience-side baffle is 2x12.  I'm assuming it was originally a 12/10 configuration, and that's how I'm planning to restore it.

With the corners and handles I'm planning to get the originals replated.  It's not cheap ($10-15 per piece), but I think the finish quality will be better, and it's the best of both worlds- original hardware with show chrome finish.

voltergeist

To clarify- planning to replate original corners and handle ends.  Hinges planning to use new VV ones.  Latches planning to use the smaller-size twist (butterfly) latches.

The Real MC

Original hardware was nickel plated, not chrome.

My sparkletop has the amp bottom cabinet with no amp/speakers but the baffles have cutouts for 1x10 and 1x12 speakers.  No Jordan preamp either.  It is a 1967 piano with tapered tines and pedestal bump.

voltergeist

Can you post a photo of your player side baffle?  I need to build one, but I have no reference what it should look like.

As far as replating, I'm not going for the original finish.  To me the nickel isn't bright enough to look right, even if it is original. I guess if any future owner doesn't like it, they can replate them themself.

voltergeist

I need to measure to verify the size of the holes on the existing baffle.   I won't have a chance til next week, though.

Student Rhodes

Quote from: voltergeist on September 27, 2013, 02:29:26 PM
Can you post a photo of your player side baffle?  I need to build one, but I have no reference what it should look like.

This seems like an early one.  If I not mistaken, I believe the earliest Sparkle Tops had 12"s in the front, and 10"s on the players side, no?

Student Rhodes

Quote from: voltergeist on September 27, 2013, 01:01:30 PM
To clarify- planning to replate original corners and handle ends.  Hinges planning to use new VV ones.  Latches planning to use the smaller-size twist (butterfly) latches.

I can't tell from these photos but didn't the Sparkle Tops have the same latches as the early Stage and Suitcase models?  The ones that look more like luggage latches?  I rather like those.  I'm putting some old ones that I bought off a guy on the FrankenSuitcase I'm doing.  I just think they look classier than what VV is selling.  Here's someone in England selling them on ebay.  I believe these would still be cheaper than replating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Rhodes-replacement-latch-early-version-/181208437874?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item2a30dd5472

I would have bought them had I not already picked up the old ones that are still in pretty good shape.  They probably aren't as stout as the later types, but I'd imagine you're not going to be moving this piano around a lot, so realistically they get used for transport then sit idle while the lid gets put in the garage or storage, so it's not critical.

Tim Hodges

They did use the ones which are in that link you posted Student Rhodes:

For the US it will be cheaper to order from Vintage Vibe

Piano Case Latch Early Style
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

The Real MC

I liked the latches used on later rhodes better.  The early latches didn't hold up well and when I owned a stage they slipped open more than once.

When I replaced the hardware on my sparkletop, I put newer style latches on it.  It originally had only one latch per side, not two.  And the original hinges were bad too.

The Real MC

Quote from: Student Rhodes on September 28, 2013, 12:34:13 AM
Quote from: voltergeist on September 27, 2013, 02:29:26 PM

This seems like an early one.  If I not mistaken, I believe the earliest Sparkle Tops had 12"s in the front, and 10"s on the players side, no?

You are correct.  Pics here:

http://www.analoguediehard.com/studio/keyboards/fender_rhodes/speaker-baffles/

Student Rhodes

Quote from: tjh392 on September 28, 2013, 03:13:36 AM
For the US it will be cheaper to order from Vintage Vibe

Right you are.  I didn't know VV had them.  There's also another ebayer that has the proper latch strikes for a buck a piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-Fender-Rhodes-Latch-Catch-Piano-Strike-/360177083045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53dc3a22a5

I can't decide if I'm going to put four latches on, or two.  I know on the later style, four makes it a bit of a pain to get the top off without the thing relatching.  And like I said, I won't be taking the lid off and on much, as it'll be a set it and forget it piano.  Guess I can always add two more if I decide I need them.

Ray

voltergeist

I'm partial to using small twist latches if I'm replacing.  They're solid, low-profile, and inconspicuous when the cover is off.  When the cover's on, they hold tight and don't come unlatched.  I'd be tempted to keep the originals, but only 2 of the original 4 are there.  I have not seen any repros that are an exact match to the originals (or, at least what's original on this particular piano), so I don't see the point in replacing impractical original latches with impractical new latches that don't match the originals anyway.  To each his own, though.

The former owner came up with the original preamp, believe it or not. 

The existing baffle is cut differently than the one in the photos on this thread.  It has a large rectangular cutout between the speaker holes. 

Ray- I wouldn't recommend going to two latches unless you also use the heavy-duty hinge.  Also, with two latches (or loose latches), more force is exerted on the back panel of the piano case, which makes the joints prone to separating.  The sparkletops used solid softwood with finger joints, so the joint is stronger than the early Mk1's without corner reinforcements, but by no means indestructible.

voltergeist

More photos.  Previous to any work being done.  (you can see the cutouts in the baffle in one of the pics)

Student Rhodes

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with four latches on my top.

Is that large rectangular cut out on the baffle stock?  I don't recall ever seeing anything like that, but I haven't seen the insides of many Sparkle Tops.

Also, it looks like they put rubber grommets on the tone bars?  Can't really tell from the picture.  I haven't checked my own square tone bars for fit, but are those standard sized grommets or does it look like they just made do with rubber washers or something?

Ray

voltergeist

Quote from: Student Rhodes on October 05, 2013, 03:05:33 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with four latches on my top.

Is that large rectangular cut out on the baffle stock?  I don't recall ever seeing anything like that, but I haven't seen the insides of many Sparkle Tops.

Also, it looks like they put rubber grommets on the tone bars?  Can't really tell from the picture.  I haven't checked my own square tone bars for fit, but are those standard sized grommets or does it look like they just made do with rubber washers or something?

Ray

The baffle does not appear to have been modified.

The grommets are felt.  One row is white and the other black.  They look original.

The Real MC

Quote from: voltergeist on October 04, 2013, 10:24:47 AM

I need to apply new velvet to the inside of the lid on my sparkletop.  Where did you buy this material and what adhesive did you use?  Looks great.

voltergeist

The lid liner is original.  I don't know where to get that material.

The Real MC

That's the first original liner I've seen of that color, usually they are red.

voltergeist

There seem to be a lot of unusual features of this piano.  All the photos so far were taken right after I'd unloaded it - hadn't even cleaned it up yet.  I'm repairing the original tolex and gathering parts to put it back to its original electronics configuration (the previous owner came up with the original preamp, so now I just need the power supply unit).  The existing baffle is original, but it's shot, so I'll be building an exact copy.  Seems unlikely I'll be able to pin down exactly what the missing baffle looked like, so I'll probably duplicate the existing baffle and load it with a set of VV Jensen Special Design 12's.  I'll most likely put it up for sale when it's done, so if you've been looking for one of these rare beauties, watch this space. 

voltergeist

Got the original preamp from the former owner.  Serial number 116.  Haven't tested it yet, but I'm not getting my hopes up.   

Tim Hodges

Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

voltergeist

Done (well, mostly done) with cosmetic rehabilitation of the piano.  Tolex and liner are original.  Replaced all the chrome hardware (VV stuff, decided not to replate corners and handle ends).  Cleaned up nicely.  Replaced the latches with twist latches, and the hinges with Mk1 hinges from VV.  Preamp isn't installed yet.  Used hole plugs where mods were removed on the rail.  Hoping to make some adjustments to flatten out the reflection of the keys in the rail. 

voltergeist

voltergeist

voltergeist

This piano is serial number A-0186 (preamp serial number 0116).  How likely do you think it is that there exists an older Rhodes in better condition?  Certainly possible, but if there are any, I bet there aren't many.

Ben Bove

This is definitely a 1965ish piano.  The orange felt lining definitely original, and definitely early - they were still using this orange on the gold piano basses.  Also the longer tabs on the pickups show it's a very early one, besides the serial numbers.  I have seen the rectangular cutout on one piano before, again was a super early one with the actual silver control knobs from the '65 catalogue.  So, nice rare early piano :).  Looks great!

Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

kphlx2000

Congrats on purchasing this piano. I have the same piano from '64 with the same velvet color lining in the lid. But it's missing the bottom cabinet and the name rail with vol, treble & bass controls. The legs on your cabinet are original. They were featured on the pianos from '64 - '65. These pianos also featured a tube amp in the cabinet with a vibrato input. If you ever decide to part with this piano w/bottom cabinet, please let me know.

Kenneth
Fender Rhodes Collector/Music Producer/Recording Engineer

voltergeist

I'll definitely be keeping the piano and cabinet together.  I am planning to part with it once I'm satisfied with its condition.

Anyone have a sparkletop tube amp for sale?  :P

Anyone have an image of that amp, or a schematic? 

Anyone have an image with a good view of the silver knobs? 

Kenneth, can you post some photos of your piano?  Thanks for the info.

The Real MC

Quote from: voltergeist on October 10, 2013, 10:44:30 PMAnyone have a sparkletop tube amp for sale?  :P

They made a handful of "Executone" rhodes that had a tube amp that was just a Vibrolux Reverb or Twin Reverb chassis.  They simply chopped 2/3 of the front panel of the amp and put the panel on the namerail with the amp chassis separately mounted some distance away. 

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.0

But that's a bad design because you have to bundle a couple of feet of wires between the panel and amp chassis, and this creates incurable tone-sucking lead dress issues with the grid wires capacitively coupling to the other bundled wires, resulting in bad tone and/or parasitic oscillation.  Back then the people in charge of Fender (CBS) were clueless about lead dress in tube amps, Leo was forced out of the design decision loop, and too many Fender tube guitar amps left the factory with compromised sound.

There's a reason so few of these pianos with tube amps were made.

Spare yourself the trouble and just use a standard tube guitar amp with direct connection from either the harp or the preamp output.  The silverface Fenders are best suited for Rhodes pianos, Twin Reverb (or head version Dual Showman Reverb) being the loudest and cleanest.  Use the #1 input jack as it is high input impedance which keeps the noise lower.  You could always use the bottom Rhodes cabinet as a speaker cabinet with a simple speaker panel mounted where the power amp was formerly located and just plug the speaker output of the tube amp into the cabinet, which is what I plan to do with my silvertop bottom cabinet.

QuoteAnyone have an image with a good view of the silver knobs?

There appear to be two different varieties of silver knobs.  This 1964 specimen shows concentric knobs

This 1966 prototype shows the more common silver knobs.  Those knobs were also used on the first (infamous) Fender solid state guitar amps.

voltergeist

Thanks for the pics.  The pot shafts on this piano are solid, so the VV replacements won't work.  I was planning to change out the pots so I could use the knobs available, but now I don't think I'm going to do that.  I'm thinking now of machining reproductions instead.  That is, if I can find an image with enough resolution to enable accurate reproduction.  I asked the previous owner if he has the knobs, but he does not and never did.  He suggested using concentric guitar knobs, which might actually work (and look good), at least as an interim solution. 

If anyone can provide high-res closeups of the original knobs you will be my Short Duration Personal Savior.

voltergeist

I picked up a pair of Weber California 10's on the local Craigslist, intending to use them as the player-side 10's in the sparkletop.  I am not particularly knowledgeable about the finer points of speakers, but they're obviously high quality 10's, and the price was right.  8 Ohm 80W.

Anyone familiar with these speakers, and have any thoughts about their use in this application? 

My plan is to build a 1U power amp (120W into 8 Ohms bridged) into the player-side baffle (the side with 10's, which is also the side where  the original baffle is MIA).  I think it will be pretty slick, and won't require any modification of the cabinet.  Thanks to bjammerz I've got a Jordan suitcase amp faceplate on the way that will enable me to keep an original look to the exterior of the suitcase cabinet.

So, I therefore also need to identify a good pair of 8 Ohm 12's for the audience-side.  Suggestions?

voltergeist

Another image of the early concentric knobs.  Also hard to tell what exactly they look like.  Probably have to find someone who currently has a set to take close-up photos to have any hope of accurately reproducing them.  I wonder if they were metal or plastic?  Anyone know?

The Real MC

Here are the knobs on the solid state guitar amps.  I have seen at least two silvertops with knobs like these.  Hard to see, but the edge of the knob is knurled.

The Real MC

Quote from: voltergeist on October 11, 2013, 10:23:53 AM
I picked up a pair of Weber California 10's on the local Craigslist, intending to use them as the player-side 10's in the sparkletop.  I am not particularly knowledgeable about the finer points of speakers, but they're obviously high quality 10's, and the price was right.  8 Ohm 80W.

Anyone familiar with these speakers, and have any thoughts about their use in this application? 

My plan is to build a 1U power amp (120W into 8 Ohms bridged) into the player-side baffle (the side with 10's, which is also the side where  the original baffle is MIA).  I think it will be pretty slick, and won't require any modification of the cabinet.  Thanks to bjammerz I've got a Jordan suitcase amp faceplate on the way that will enable me to keep an original look to the exterior of the suitcase cabinet.

So, I therefore also need to identify a good pair of 8 Ohm 12's for the audience-side.  Suggestions?

Hard to go wrong with Webers.  Do you know any guitar players with multiple speaker cabinets that you could experiment with?  Tonal varieties are all over the map with different speakers and if there's a particular sound you seek then it does no good to recommend something.  As a general guide you want a speaker that can reproduce bass without "farting out".

voltergeist

Quote from: The Real MC on October 11, 2013, 03:14:49 PM
Here are the knobs on the solid state guitar amps.  I have seen at least two silvertops with knobs like these.  Hard to see, but the edge of the knob is knurled.

I saw those, too.  They are different than the concentric knobs, though.  Definately the knobs I need.  This piano has concentric pots with solid shafts, like the '64 specimen you posted.  Those are the knobs I need to find hi res image of.

voltergeist

Quote from: voltergeist on October 11, 2013, 03:28:58 PM
Quote from: The Real MC on October 11, 2013, 03:14:49 PM

I saw those, too.  They are different than the concentric knobs, though.  Definately the knobs I need.  This piano has concentric pots with solid shafts, like the '64 specimen you posted.  Those are the knobs I need to find hi res image of.

Sorry, I seem to have left out a key word:  The knobs on the solid state amps are definately *NOT* the knobs I need.

voltergeist

Quote from: The Real MC on October 11, 2013, 08:59:20 AM
Quote from: voltergeist on October 10, 2013, 10:44:30 PMAnyone have a sparkletop tube amp for sale?  :P

They made a handful of "Executone" rhodes that had a tube amp that was just a Vibrolux Reverb or Twin Reverb chassis.  They simply chopped 2/3 of the front panel of the amp and put the panel on the namerail with the amp chassis separately mounted some distance away. 

From what I understand, there was a small Jordan tube power amp that pre-dated the Jordan solid state power amp.  Nothing to do with the Executones.  It's this mythical early original sparkletop tube amp that I'm interested in.  If it's true that the early sparkletops had a tube power stage, it would be interesting to know something about it.  And it would probably be the most impossible-to-find of all impossible-to-find Rhodes parts.

Loucas

Hello ,
Welcome to the silver top family with this rare find .
Well done !
Here are the schematics ( chapter 11-17) : http://www.fenderrhodes.com/org/manual/toc.html

A close photo of the knobs: Free Web Proxy

Also my 1966's silver top cabinet : Free Web Proxy

Hope will help you .
Loucas

voltergeist

Awesome!  Thanks, Loucas!  I never would have guessed that the player side baffle would look like that.  Are those 10s on the player side?  Thanks for the great shot of the knobs, too.