Author Topic: Fender Rhodes Mark II vs. Software vs. Nord Comparison  (Read 5755 times)

Offline FantomXR

• Vendor
  • Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Fender Rhodes Mark II vs. Software vs. Nord Comparison
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:35:31 AM »
Hey guys,

I took the last days to create a video, that compares a real Fender Rhodes with the most common plugins and a nord.
Please tune in and gimme a comment on what you think about the plugins and the rhodes sound. You can find soundcloud files under the video...

Thank you and enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKtVSJsem_I

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fender Rhodes Mark II vs. Software vs. Nord Comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »
Great video! nice playing!

My faves were the Nord Mark V, and the real Rhodes.

Real professional video

Good job!

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 200A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2000 Yamaha acoustic piano
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...

Offline FantomXR

• Vendor
  • Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »
Thanks for the nice feedback.

It's really interesting... the opinions on "what sounds best" really differ a lot!

Offline Ledbetter

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:52:03 PM »
I just got a Nord Electro 4D and really like it.  The Wurly it came with was better than the Rhodes sample.  Nord just made a new Rhodes sample available.  Here is a link to the Electric Piano Sample download page:

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Sound%20Libraries&cllibr=Nord_Piano_Library&clplib=Electric_Piano

Offline BerneseMtnDog

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »
I agree, great video!   I like the real Rhodes best because it seems to have a wider dynamic response.  The Nord was second for me.  Really nice tone.  The others seemed more flat and less lively.

Steve
1975 Rhodes Stage 73
Yamaha Motif XS6
Hohner Clavinet-Pianet Duo
1945 Hammond CV
1969 Leslie 145
1946 Hammond DR-20 Tone Cab

Offline Cormac Long

• Ultra Moderator
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
    • The Electric Piano Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »
I also preferred the Real Rhodes, followed by the Nord. I wonder if the real Rhodes action is the deal breaker here that's letting you get that better dynamic response. 

I also have the Scarbee Mark1 and use it at home through Kontact, Logic and Mainstage.. I find it to be a little dull and its own EQ tends to introduce a bit too much hiss if you try to step up the bell. So I've ended up adding Logic EQ upstream in the patch where I have more scope to bring up the right mids and get a tad more bell in the process.

Great playing.. looks like ye had a real blast doing this :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:32:57 AM by Cormac Long »

Offline zoooombiex

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »
I just got a Nord Electro 4D and really like it.  The Wurly it came with was better than the Rhodes sample.  Nord just made a new Rhodes sample available.  Here is a link to the Electric Piano Sample download page:

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Sound%20Libraries&cllibr=Nord_Piano_Library&clplib=Electric_Piano

Hmm, I don't see a new Rhodes sample - just the same six that have been up for a while, with the Sparkletop being the newest.  Is that the one you were referring to?  (Thanks for the head's up either way.)

Offline little george

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
The real rhodes is the winner for me. I can´t explain why, it sounds less clean, but still I preffer it. Speacially the intro with the bass notes, I think it probably was harder to play in the rhodes, but I think it has more character. Second comes the scarbee, which is ok. I don´t specially like the nord, too much reverb in it.

Amazing playing man! :o

Offline Ledbetter

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 11:15:02 PM »
My mistake, the new piano is "Italian Grand.". But there are some user-made Rhodes samples available at norduserforum.com. I've been meaning to sample my own.

Offline FantomXR

• Vendor
  • Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »
Too much reverb? ;)
All plugins use the same amount of FX ;)

Offline little george

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 06:18:43 AM »
Yes, but maybe the samples are "cooked" with some reverb to make it sound smoother or whatever...

Offline ideasculptor

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 01:10:22 AM »
fundamentally, the variations between them are pretty much within the variances you'd see between different physical rhodes pianos due to age and manufacturing differences, and they are certainly within the variances of piano+amp.  As all of us surely know (or we wouldn't be here), the only thing that really matters is how the piano provides feedback to and responds to the player, and I have yet to encounter a digital EP that could match the mechanical action of a real electromechanical piano.  Even those with real hammer actions never quite respond to the keyboard action in a truly authentic way.  If I'm playing a song with a written part where I play the same notes in the same way every time, then I honestly could care less if I'm playing a pseudo rhodes or the real thing, since I'll learn how to make it sound the way I want after a couple of run-throughs.  But if I'm going to have to improvise along with others, there's just no substitute for the real deal. I've never played anything that comes close.  I'm sure most everyone else here agrees, or they wouldn't be on a forum devoted to decades old technology that weighs more than a stack of modern keyboards and amplifiers combined.

Offline Loucas

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 03:09:26 AM »
Hi guys.
I agree with all the opinions above but it has not meaning to compare the real thing with something else.Of course there are a lot keyboards and sounds almost same to play with.
The great late George Duke once said " Rhodes is like sex.The is no substitute for the real thing ".

Offline Mark S 1

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
I listened to the video while reading, enjoying the great playing. They all sounded good, but when the last one started, right from the first note my immediate reaction was "Whoa! Stop the press. I want that one!".  Needless to say, I was not surprised when I looked at the video and discovered it was the real deal. The bell sound was more pleasing, and it sat in the mix a bit better (though it also appeared a bit more muddy at times, but this helped it blend). All told, I think you could use any of the plugins (or the Nord) and no one would complain. And with the proper eq/compression/re-amp/effects/etc you could make any of them sound the way you wanted. But as Ideasculptor pointed out, the feel of a real Rhodes is not matched by a digital piano, and in the hands of the right performer, that feel will inspire a better performance. And the performance is everything.

Thanks again for the video and great playing!