Author Topic: Clavinet Replacement Pickups - Opinions?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline zoooombiex

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Clavinet Replacement Pickups - Opinions?
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
I was curious to hear about any experiences and in particular comparisons regarding the three clav pickups that are on the market

-Vintage Vibe (single coil, set)
-Clavinet.com/Lollar (humbucker, set)
-Ken Rich (appears to be single coil, and only the upper)

Are there any other options?

I'm doing a restoration for a gigging clav and both the pickups are cracked.  I managed to glue them back together so that they work again, but I don't really trust that for gigging.

I'm leaning towards the Clavinet.com ones since they are humbucking, but was curious how different that might make them sound.  I'm familiar with the difference in single coil/humbuckers in guitars, so I can guess, but thought I'd see here if anyone has any firsthand experience comparing them.

Thanks!

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Clavinet Replacement Pickups - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »
I'm curious about the humbuckers as well (I too am a guitar player getting into keys).
I've had a shielding box put in my clav, but there's still too much hum for my taste.
Looking at the clavinet pickup, it seem to be a chain of coils.  I'd think you could simply reverse wind and flip the polarity each coil to cancel the hum, but not dramatically alter (fatten) the actual tone.
Anybody have these pickups?
Ray

Offline coolkeys

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: Clavinet Replacement Pickups - Opinions?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »
According to the clavinet.com website, they have a "30 Day Money Back Guarantee." They are the same price as the regular single coil set that VV sells. As far as Ken Rich, you can buy BOTH pickups from either of those guys for $20 more than what Ken Rich charges for a SINGLE PICKUP.

I'd try and if you don't like, just send them back for refund.