Author Topic: Mark V Lid Alignment Issues?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline zoooombiex

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Mark V Lid Alignment Issues?
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »
Has anyone ever had any issues with a Mark V lid (the outer case/cover, not the harp cover) not fitting?  Mine fits fine on any three corners, but won't connect in the fourth corner, almost like the lid is too small.  The steel rim around the outside is very strong and not something I could easily bend, and I was hesitant to go pounding on it with a hammer.

Just thought I'd check here if anyone else has had this issue and if they had any good tips for fixing it.  Thanks!

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
Re: Mark V Lid Alignment Issues?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:37:11 PM »
Have you looked really closely at both the lid and the piano's metal channels to see if there's any damage or bending?  In the rear of the piano is where the joint is screwed in, you could also check to see if anything is going on there...

Can't say I've ever heard of this being a problem.  Any alterations or bending you'd probably want to do on the lid section, as it's only for transport and you're always looking at the piano.

Pics maybe?
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline zoooombiex

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »
Thanks - I'll try to get some pics up.  The channels look clear and relatively straight, and the joint is secure.

Interestingly, two of the lid latches on the back (left and center) are broken.  I suspect that at some point when the lid was off it got bent (though that would take some force), and then someone broke the latches trying to pull it shut even though it was out of alignment.

Also interesting, the harp cover was also out of alignment when I bought it.  Someone had tried to mount it OVER the faceplate instead of sliding behind it and - surprise surprise - the cover wouldn't seat properly on the left side (same side as the broken latches).  I re-mounted it correctly and now its happy.

Thankfully, the piano itself is in great shape - plays beautifully, in tune, very clean inside and out, structurally very solid.  And the lid does stay on (it's close enough that  4 of the 6 latches will close securely).  I'd just like to fix it properly if possible.

Offline voltergeist

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
Measure it corner to corner both ways to check if it's out of square.
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270