News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Channel is gone, please help

Started by Abraham, November 11, 2013, 02:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abraham

I've just turn on my suitcase and all of a sudden a channel is no longer working.

I've a peterson 4 pin. I've had problems before with the headphone jack but this time it isn't the same. It's not the preamp I guess. I have plugged my guitar to the amp and I only have input/output on left channel wile the preamp is unplugged. That nails it down to the cabinet, but thats as far as I can reach myself.

So, what are the most common reasons for a channel to die, what do I have to check/replace to fix it?
Thank you
196x Hammond L100
1976 Rhodes MKI '73 Suitcase
1976 Wurlitzer 200-A EP
1981 Casio VL-Tone (Yeah!)
199x Kawai CX-21D Upright
20xx Clavia Nord Electro 2

voltergeist

Check the boards on the heat sinks for burned up parts.
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

Max Brink

It could be a lot of things so the next step is to slowly eliminate things that you know are working and narrow it down to the components that are causing the problem.

The easiest thing to do first would do is to swap the connectors that are running to each of the power amplifier boards. From here you should be able to determine if the problem is on the board itself or if it is something else leading up to the board.

Start from the ends, the speaker and input, and then slowly narrow down the location from there.
Max Brink
The Chicago Electric Piano Co.

ph: (312)476-9528
e: max@chicagoelectricpiano.com

w: http://www.chicagoelectricpiano.com/
fb: http://facebook.com/electricpianoco/
tw&ig: @electricpianoco

Abraham

Took both power amps & main to a tech, I'll keep posting. Thank you.
196x Hammond L100
1976 Rhodes MKI '73 Suitcase
1976 Wurlitzer 200-A EP
1981 Casio VL-Tone (Yeah!)
199x Kawai CX-21D Upright
20xx Clavia Nord Electro 2