News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

What Should I Use To Buff/Polish Keys?

Started by V301J, January 10, 2014, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V301J

I bought table top buffing machine...the one with two wheels spinning vertically. What buffing and polishing compound should I use? And what kind of wheel should I use for the polish and for the buffing compound? I don't want to melt the plastic or make it worse in any way.

BerneseMtnDog

What speed does it spin at?  For plastics you usually want slow as in around 800-1000 rpm.  For my Rhodes I used the brown stick first which is for buffing out course scratches followed by a white compound for fine polish.  I use a guitar buffing wheel and these compounds:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Buffing/Menzerna_Compounds.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=423
I'm not sure how their colors translate to other manufacturers though.  The key is to not have the buffing wheels spinning too fast.  The heat builds up and melts things.

Steve
1975 Rhodes Stage 73
Yamaha Motif XS6
Hohner Clavinet-Pianet Duo
1945 Hammond CV
1969 Leslie 145
1946 Hammond DR-20 Tone Cab

V301J

Quote from: BerneseMtnDog on January 10, 2014, 07:15:50 PM
What speed does it spin at?  For plastics you usually want slow as in around 800-1000 rpm.  For my Rhodes I used the brown stick first which is for buffing out course scratches followed by a white compound for fine polish.  I use a guitar buffing wheel and these compounds:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Buffing/Menzerna_Compounds.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=423
I'm not sure how their colors translate to other manufacturers though.  The key is to not have the buffing wheels spinning too fast.  The heat builds up and melts things.

Steve

Mine rotates 2,000 rpm minimum I'm going to try it with old keys I don't really need and see what happens. Thanks

OZDOC

The old school 'by hand' approach is as follows.

Depending on the depth of scratches or burns start first with 'waterproof' emery paper wrapped around a small (2" x 1" x 1") block of wood.
The wood block stops you from making depressions in your keys by sanding too much in one spot.
I sand wet if it's an all plastic key and dry otherwise.
For deep scratches and burns I start with 240 grit.
For light scratching I start with 600 grit
From wherever you start work through each grade of paper until you get to 1200.
EG - 240, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200.
Always sand in one direction only - usually the long axis of the key.
And sand all the key - or all the top surface of the key - not just the scratched part, each time.
What you're doing is progressively making the scratches everywhere smaller and smaller.
I then use NOVUS #2 Fine Scratch Remover plastic polish applied by hand rubbing with a small (1.5" x 1.5") folded pad of cotton cloth.
Once again rubbing in one direction only.
This process will give you keys that don't develop all sorts of random reflections due to over-sanding or over polishing one area.
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/

cinnanon

Wanted to share my method derived from OZDOC

3M Imperial Wet/Dry sandpaper (wet) 600 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit, followed by RainX headlight restorer.

Overall removed about .002" from the surface

Note the new coat of paint recommended from Steveo: Rustoleum American Accents Sienna Stone sprayed over top of Rustoleum Painters Touch 2x Ultra Cover Paint+Primer in Satin Fossil color

voltergeist

Man, I dunno about painting keys.  I wouldn't go there, myself.  It looks good now, but how it will look in 5, 10, or 20 years is another question.  Little cracks in the plastic aren't a big deal, imo.  I'd take well-buffed keys with some signs of aging over painted keys any day.

As far as rpm, too slow is better than too fast, but a slow rpm will make the job take a lot longer.  I use a two-speed Eastwood machine (1720/3450 RPM).  1720 is not too fast by any measure.  3450 works, too, and much faster, but one must be very careful and pay close attention at that speed.  I cut my teeth at 1720, but after having done several hundred keys I moved up to 3450.  Buffing at 1720 seems to take forever now.  3450 is not too fast if you know what you're doing, but you really need to stay focused, use a light touch, and keep moving.  800-1000 rpm is very safe, but omg does that sound tedious.

I use plastic buffing compound followed by white rouge, both on pleated buffs.  Both buffing compounds are available at most local hardware stores.  For a piano with damaged keys (gouges, burns, what have you), I do sanding down to about 2000 before buffing.  Buffing after sanding is a lot more work, so I avoid sanding unless absolutely necessary.  If you sand one key, you have to sand them all to keep the color consistent.

This is the buffer I use:
http://www.eastwood.com/1-hp-buff-kit.html?reltype=2&parent_id=3446
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

pianotuner steveo

No, I did not recommend painting keys. The paint referred to above is for cabinets of 112's, 120's & 140 series. You can see it in his picture. Excellent job, BTW.

I use Meguier's plastic polish on keys if they aren't too bad.

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

voltergeist

Quote from: pianotuner steveo on December 09, 2014, 10:36:24 AM
No, I did not recommend painting keys. The paint referred to above is for cabinets of 112's, 120's & 140 series. You can see it in his picture. Excellent job, BTW.

I use Meguier's plastic polish on keys if they aren't too bad.

Oh, now I get it.  That makes more sense. 
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270