Nord finally releases new Rhodes sample

Started by Ledbetter, February 06, 2014, 01:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ledbetter

Found this on the Nord forum:

Listen to: EP7 Tines Amped
This MK1 was recorded through a magic mix of custom built pre-amps, tube amps and vintage outboard.

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Sound%20Libraries&cllibr=Nord_Piano_Library&clplib=Electric_Piano

I'll be checking it out tonight.

Ben Bove

I have to say I'm impressed with the dynamic differences on Phunked Demo.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

cowbellster

This can't be true! I just sold my Nord last sunday.

Well.. No sample never sounds like my Mark II.

Student Rhodes

Gosh, they're all sounding so good, I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth owning a real Rhodes.

I mean for the price of suitcase model, you could have your Rhodes sounds, and get Wurli, Clav and B-3 to boot.  Not to mention the amount of space and maintenance that it would cut down on.  Did I mention how much easier it is to carry and update?   

Might be time to dump all that old gear and get a Nord.

voltergeist

Quote from: Student Rhodes on February 07, 2014, 03:44:05 PM
Gosh, they're all sounding so good, I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth owning a real Rhodes.

I mean for the price of suitcase model, you could have your Rhodes sounds, and get Wurli, Clav and B-3 to boot.  Not to mention the amount of space and maintenance that it would cut down on.  Did I mention how much easier it is to carry and update?   

Might be time to dump all that old gear and get a Nord.

People said the same thing 30 years ago, except it ended with "DX-7". 
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

voltergeist

All the gazillion discussions comparing the latest and greatest sample/emulator/plugin/synth/whatever to a real Rhodes just sound to me like an endless debate of how well different masturbation methods compare to sex. 

Not to take anything away from the quality of Nord's wanking.  They do some of the best wanking around. 
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

mvanmanen

I had an odd gig last weekend. Since our band was only playing a couple of tunes as part of a larger show of multiple different performances, I had to use the hosting band's Nord Electro as we did not have time/room on the stage for switching up keyboards. Sure it got the job done. Sure it sounded fine. I have no issues with Nords -- totally handy boards.

But there was no "love" going on, just "action."

And it broke my heart that I had my Wurlitzer sitting in the green room :(
Wurlitzer 200a
Wurlitzer 145
Fender Rhodes (1966, 1971, 1975)
Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo
Hohner Clavinet D6s and C
Hohner Pianet T
Hohner Pianet N and Combo Pianet
Hammond B3

Student Rhodes

You guys know I was kidding, right?
Keepin' !all my keys!
Ray

filigroove

I don't like the new sample (sorry Clavia/Nord guys, you know I love you, but...). 31Mb and it sounds so similar to the MkV sample which uses 5Mb. I like the old Ep2 (the Suitcase sample) with a lot of eq even though it has a weak octave in high register.
Anyway Nord is still the easy way to go to a gig.

Abraham

I don't like the nord rhodes samples, they don't sound convincing to me, so may I ask, which ones do you prefer?

I have a nord electro 2 rack, so I couldn't load any newer and bigger samples, though I still have a few to choose from, but...

The MKI sounds dull, velocity is way too hard so you have to strike the keys really hard to make it sound close to my real rhodes, being this the one that gets any closer.
MKI Suitcase is way too bright, besides they went mad abusing bark on the lower end. Same goes to MKV which sounds thin.

I very much prefer the Mr.Ray73 VSTi, which runs great on my v-machine, so I'm about to dump the nord.
196x Hammond L100
1976 Rhodes MKI '73 Suitcase
1976 Wurlitzer 200-A EP
1981 Casio VL-Tone (Yeah!)
199x Kawai CX-21D Upright
20xx Clavia Nord Electro 2

tylert

It's great that they're coming out with more Rhodes sounds, but I don't know how "new" it is.  Sounds like that same old samples (mkv) reworked then Amped.  I have a hard time believing that a new sampled Rhodes would have the same Nord bit to it especially when compared to other samples like Red Tape, Neo Soul, CFrentzen ect. They sound good, but I've never heard a Real Rhodes sound like the Nords do.  Once the excitement of it being new wears down I think more will agree.. it's just not good enough for the times.