Author Topic: "Bob Mayo, on the keyboard. Bob Mayo!"  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
"Bob Mayo, on the keyboard. Bob Mayo!"
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:02:16 AM »
Here's a great youtube clip of Bob Mayo in '77.   He's playing a white Stage Model, which I'm told he ran through a Leslie.  Sounds absolutely killer.  He also plays some greasy Clavinet on this track, which he wasn't using on the FCA album from two years earlier.
That guy could play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1kk0X4jmAQ

Offline 4kinga

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Re: "Bob Mayo, on the keyboard. Bob Mayo!"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »
Whoa,  a  Wurli on a Rhodes on a Clav and a PolyMoog on a  chopped A100!

Quite a  set-up (would hate to have been the roadie)

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »
That's a hot sunny day in July.  Black material from a stock Rhodes and Wurly retains and accumulates heat, which would had 1) warped the harp covers, 2) made them hot to the touch, and 3) caused tuning issues due to expansion of metals.  White covered gear stays cooler.  Those guys were no idiots.  The Polymoog and Hammond would had fared OK.

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
Hadn't thought about the heat/summer sun issue.  I just assumed they were going for a look to go with the white baby grand etc. They're all wearing white clothes.  I like the look of a white Rhodes.   Gary Wright used one as well. 

I was particularly impressed with Mayo doint the simultaneous two different keyboard thing during certain parts of the cut.    He's playing the clavinet with the left, and the Rhodes with the right, but he's still playing each instrument "appropriately."   There's a certain way to play each of these instruments that sounds "right."  With the clavinet, it's often all about how you spank it, and pop the keys, which can be very different from how you might lay a bed of chords with the right hand on the Rhodes.  You gotta be able to think and execute two different styles at the same time.

Shame he's gone.