Author Topic: Front mounted carry handles on a mk1/mk2  (Read 1227 times)

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Front mounted carry handles on a mk1/mk2
« on: May 27, 2014, 02:28:49 AM »
Has anyone fitted handles on the front of their mk1 or mk2 much as was done on the Mkv (under the keys when looking at the Rhodes front on)?  If so is it easy to do and what fittings do you need so the handles don't pull off. Would make it much easier to pick up on my own with front mounted handles!

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
Re: Front mounted carry handles on a mk1/mk2
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:31:39 AM »
I'm not familiar with the Mk V but, aren't there already handles on the front of a Mk I and II? on the cabinet top?

I'd be afraid of pulling the front of the lower cabinet off. That narrow strip of wood doesn't have a particularly strong connection to the rest of the cabinet. I'd at least make sure the piano includes reinforcement blocks along the joint between the front and the bottom panel.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »
I'm not familiar with the Mk V but, aren't there already handles on the front of a Mk I and II? on the cabinet top?

I'd be afraid of pulling the front of the lower cabinet off. That narrow strip of wood doesn't have a particularly strong connection to the rest of the cabinet. I'd at least make sure the piano includes reinforcement blocks along the joint between the front and the bottom panel.

Hey David. Yep, there are handles on the top transport lid that has the leg/pedal compartment but I tend not to put the lid on mine so i can manage it more easily myself when gigging, hence wanting to put handles on the front. Heres a vid of a suitcase with front mounted handles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vneba3F_3zE

Hopefully theres a way to do it!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:42:42 AM by goldphinga »

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:38:02 PM »
Looks like they mounted standard handles. Each handle requires two 1/4" (6.35mm) holes through the cabinet and two 10-32 tee-nuts.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Offline Alan Lenhoff

• Vendor
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 07:50:19 PM »
My Rhodes, Wurli and Vox Continental all have their handles on their detachable lids. I suppose it makes the keyboards look "cleaner" when the lid is removed. But if a latch or hinge fails in transport, you could end up holding the lid securely -- while the keyboard crashes to the ground. 

Gibson got it right with my G101: two handles attached to the keyboard.

Alan
1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73
1972 Rhodes Silver Sparkletop Piano Bass
1978 Hohner Clavinet D6
1968 Hohner Pianet N II
1966 Wurlitzer 140B
1967 Gibson G101 combo organ
1965 UK Vox Continental
1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H
1977 Fender Twin Reverb
Vox AC30CC2X amp
(SEE THE COLLECTION: https://vintagerockkeyboards.com/ )