News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

140b spruce up

Started by Ben Bove, June 03, 2014, 01:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Bove

Being that the 140b is a lighter-colored painted case unlike the plastic 200 lids with black base, and the 140b has nicer brass trim parts, 2 things that I did to really spruce up the look of the 140b were to buff the paint and brass.  Might help to make your older Wurlies in this style looking new!

For the paint buffing above, the image is a little pixelated from uploading but "before" is the left base, "after" is the right base (leg paint and top are already buffed in this picture).  I used a regular automotive rubbing compound used to take out scratches, scuffs and oxidation that you can readily find at an auto store.  Applied with an orbital buffer that car detailers use (could be done by hand, but would take quite a bit longer).  Being that the Wurly paint isn't a high gloss, it really can hold a lot of dirt, oily hand prints etc. over 40+ years.  After finished buffing with compound, buffed in a wax / sealant to shine paint and protect from future grime.

For the brass parts below, scrubbed with 0000 very fine steel wool, followed by rubbing compound to reduce abrasion from scratching, and sprayed with clearcoat to protect the brass from future tarnishing.  Even the music rack mounts came up great.

Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

pianotuner steveo

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Kombucha Kyle

Hi Ben,

I just purchased a 140B and I'm hoping to clean it up the same way you did with yours. I was wondering if you might be able to provide and example of the product you used to clean the paint on your Wurli? Thanks so much!

Student Rhodes

Ben,
This is gonna look great when it's done.
Nice work.
Ray