Author Topic: Will a Mk1 or Mk2 namerail fit a MkV?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Will a Mk1 or Mk2 namerail fit a MkV?
« on: June 12, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »
Has anyone ever tried this? Was thinking the other day it would be great to have a peterson or janus preamp in a mkv and instead of cutting up a MkV rail, what if you could drop in a Mk1 or Mk2 rail instead? Would there be gaps around it or would it be a good fit? In fact whilst on the subject, could you drop an entire Mk1 or Mk2 keybed/action into MkV case as is? Interested to get some thoughts!

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
Re: Will a Mk1 or Mk2 namerail fit a MkV?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »
As far as I can guess without having had them side-by-side... there are going to be some issues.

The Mark V rail is technically shorter in length because the cheekblocks are integrated into the top lid.  So, the rail stops at the Low E, cuts down and moves into a flat strip that's attached under the lid on each side - where the Mark 1 rail extends to the end of the cheekblocks.  So the Mark V rail is shorter by 2 cheekblocks in length.

The other thing is I believe the Mark V rail is a bit taller, there isn't as much top lid space shown vs. a Mark 1 rail that had enough lid space to display a script logo on the right side.  So dropping in a Mark 1 rail probably will leave a gap between rail and lid.

What you might want to consider is building the preamp into a box, having it powered and putting it on top of the Mark V.  That way it's a standalone unit without having to chop up a mark V rail.  You could also have a custom rail made for the Mark V... maybe even quickly out of wood, where you could cut in a peterson preamp.

I can't comment on the dimensions of a Mark 1 innards vs. V... I vaguely remember the Mark V aluminum frame was slightly improved up (whatever that means) so dimensions may be different.  It could fit per se, but You might run into trouble with clearance or gap in the front of the bed in order to get the sustain rail to work with the dowel.  That I'd have to see to confirm.

Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Will a Mk1 or Mk2 namerail fit a MkV?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
Thanks man! All great points that I need to consider, i suppose i could source an old front rail from a mk1 or 2 and cut it down to fit then attach a black spacer to fill any gaps round the edges...also i need to consider the angle too as it looks like the mkv's panel tilts back a little more than a mk1 or 2. Reason im asking is im potentially able to get hold of an empty mkv case and as ive got an amazing mk2 (like the one you played on youtube) i though it might be nice to drop the innards into the mkv case to make it a little lighter...thoughts thoughts!!