News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Note sounding an octave higher than it should

Started by drums1225, June 20, 2014, 02:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drums1225

Hey all,

Recently, the lowest Bb on my Stage 73 began sounding a note an octave above its normal pitch. It sounds like it's just a harmonic. I have VERY limited experience with, and knowledge of, the inner workings of my Rhodes, but is this likely a tine problem, or a pickup position problem? Or something else? Thanks in advance.

Chris
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73 with Split Mod

voltergeist

It's probably the position of the tine relative to the pickup causing overtones to dominate.  The tip of the tine should be above the middle of the pickup when you look at it from the side.  Do a visual check.  If the tine is even or below the center of the pickup, use the front screw (the one on the audience side) to adjust.
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

drums1225

Thanks! I'll give it a shot when I get a sec to open it up.

Chris

Ben Bove

Yes he's correct.  The note will "kick up an octave" if the tine is too centered on the pickup.  As he described, there are 2 phillips screws holding the tonebar onto the harp.  If you unscrew the one that's farthest from the keys slightly, you'll hear the pitch drop into the correct octave.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

drums1225

Success!! Thanks, guys. Although, my keyboardist broke a tine (F - #50) during rehearsal the other night! I guess I have no choice but to get more familiar with the maintenance aspect of owning a Rhodes!

Best,
Chris