News:

Don't forget to read the forum rules.

Main Menu

A few keys sound overdriven

Started by The_Squid, October 28, 2014, 04:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Squid

Thinking about buying a 1978 Suitcase Piano.  The action is good, the tines were cleaned, sustain works.  Negatives are its speakers sound terrible but it sounds okay through an amp.  My question is a couple of keys have an overdriven sound to them.  Like if you play them too hard it sounds all distorted.  Any insight as to what may be causing this?  Sorry I don't have any video.  I may check this keyboard out again tomorrow. 

goldphinga

Probably just pickups too close to the tines but otherwise it could be the speaker baffle rattling at certain frequencies, blown speakers, amp issues. Lots of possible causes! Do those same notes sound overdriven when putting the Rhodes through a different amp?

The_Squid

I'll try it with another amp.  I was thinking it may be that the pickups are too close too.  I doesn't make that overdriven sound with different octaves of the same note.  How exactly do I adjust the distance of the pickup?  I'm looking at this page it says to adjust the timbre adjustment screw:  http://www.fenderrhodes.com/org/manual/ch4.html#fig4-8

pianotuner steveo

No, not the timbre adjustment screw, but that may need adjusting too. The pickup is held in place with one screw in the back and it can slide closer to or farther away from the end of the tine. After that is set correctly, you may or may not need to adjust the timbre.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

The_Squid

Thanks.  I'm going to have to check it out tomorrow in person to see what you're talking about.