Author Topic: Warneck ep200a amp question  (Read 832 times)

Offline gilded

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Warneck ep200a amp question
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:13:33 PM »
Hi folks,

I've been intrigued by the Warneck ep200a kit for a while. Now that they're back in stock, I think I'm going to get one.

Here's my situation. I have two chopped 206a pianos. They both sound good, but one of them sounds 'cleaner' than the other. The other has a grindy sound by comparison. I don't know what makes that difference; the sum of the parts, how the tone caps have drifted over time, the placement of the soundboard pickup(s), etc.

[if they were old tube amps, I'd know what the difference was. I have a friend with a zillion old Fender amps. He has both '66 and '67 Fender Deluxe Reverb amps. They are identical except that the '67 amp has a different, slightly stronger power transformer, which means that more volts are getting passed through the circuit. The '67 amp has a grindier sound, too. It's better for a Rock sound and the '66 sounds better for a Jazz application]

Will the installation of the Warneck amp board change the sweet vs. grindy character of my Wurlies?

I guess a different way of saying this is, will the Wurlie with the Warneck amp board had a completely new sound, or will it just give me a much more sanitized version of the sound my pianos already produce?

Any input would be appreciated,

thanks, gilded