Author Topic: What digital piano or synth to buy  (Read 1778 times)

stevepaulsounds

What digital piano or synth to buy
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:21:10 AM »
Hi
I am looking to buy a stage piano or a synth. My budget is about £400 - £600 but may stretch to £800 if there is something really good for my needs. I'm happy to get something more expensive for that money on ebay.
The main features I need are at least 71 keys, preferably the full 88; a top quality authentic piano sound and feel of keys to feel like I'm playing the piano; MIDI out so I can play computer synths/VSTs; portability. Other features that would be a bonus are: very authentic organ sounds; lots of sounds to choose from; manual synth controls; MIDI controller dials and sliders for controlling music software; iPad integration; high quality built in speakers; not too heavy.
Thanks
Steve

Offline K-man

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: What digital piano or synth to buy
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »
KURZWEIL  MPS 20 - I have one, 88 key, cheap, good sounds, 18kg
1973 Rhodes 73 stage
Hammond x-2 + Elka leslie
2014 Kurzweil MPS 20

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:58:10 PM »
I have VERY limited experience with such animals, but for about a month and a half, I was left with only a borrowed Korg SV1 that I found playable.  I only used the stock settings, because I hate tinkering that was.  Seemed to me like in the mix with a band or recording, its Wurli and Rhodes sounds would fool a lot of people -- the Rhodes being closer to sounding like the genuine article.  The clavinet didn't impress as much, and I'm not attuned enough to real organs to say anything definitive.  Again, I'm told one could probably modify the samples to taste to taste, but if you're not super picky, they're not exorbitantly expensive.

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 05:34:02 AM »
Yes, I have an SV1. It suits my needs, but I use a digital Hammond for the Hammond sounds. The Vox setting is pretty good on the SV1. It also has string Mellotron- useful if you play Moody Blues.

One of the presets is the Supertramp Wurli sound. Also, if you turn on the tube preamp, it can sound like  a tube Wurli!

That's one of my favorite things about the SV1.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:07:27 PM by pianotuner steveo »
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 200A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2000 Yamaha acoustic piano
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...