Author Topic: Mark V action/feel compared to Mk2  (Read 825 times)

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Mark V action/feel compared to Mk2
« on: December 07, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »
I've been thinking about the improvements made to the Rhodes action in the Mk V and as I've not had the chance to play a V extensively, how those changes such as the longer hammer throw impact on the action/feel. I'd be interested to hear from those that have spent a lot of time playing well setup V models and how they describe the action/feel compared to a mk2 (and 1).

For example- does the longer hammer throw mean that the action isn't as fast as a mk2 as the key and consequently the hammer has to travel further to reach the tine?

Does the Mkv action require more initial force due to the increased damper tension needed to stop notes effectively or do the more rigid damper arms negate the need for extra tension and thus the new dampers don't affect the feel of the action?

Is there more initial resistance/less sensitivity when pressing a key and is that more than on a well set mk2 with shorter hammer throw?

And anything else you want up add!

Great stuff! Thanks all.

Offline Groove4Hire

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vintagebua.no
Re: Mark V action/feel compared to Mk2
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:48:38 AM »
Having owned at least five Mark Vs and rebuilt three of them and also owned a Mark 7 I believe I know a few things about them... First of all, of all the Mark Vs I've owned/played, they have been very consistent both in action and tone. Yes, the MKV has an increased hammerthrow (Close to two inches) but they used the same hammercombs as in the late MK1 and MK2s. The plastic in the hammers of the MKV does not hold up well over time and you will get problems With hammerpins breaking Down the line. I discusses the matter With mr.MKV himself Steve Woodyard who agreed that the solution With reuse of the mk1/2 hammercombs together With the New hammers in the MKV and increased hammerthrow wasn't a very good idea and suggested to convert it to an axlerod solution. I did this in an MKV With good results using a brass axle throught  the hammers and hammercombs.

As for feel of the action I find it's great and I have never had any complains about it being too slow... Even Chick Corea digs his Midi MKV and he's pretty fast... The dampers do not affect the feel o the Mark V imo. I have a Dyno My Piano Rhodes Mark II from early 1981 With wooden keys and although the keydip is shallower than on the Mark V it has an Incredible action that I like very much, almost up there With the MKV.

The Mark V is a very good piano With a flaw in the hammerdesign due to lack of testing I Guess... The MK7 hammers are identical to the MK5 hammers but the pins on the MK7 hammers are slightly bigger and do not fit into the hammercombs found on the late MK1/MK2 and MKVs...
Jon
Rhodes-tech, www.vintagebua.no, Norway

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
Re: Mark V action/feel compared to Mk2
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »
Jon has some great insights above, and I agree.

The playability of the Mark V action compared to a Mark II, the only way to really describe it is in vague terms - it almost feels like you're playing a little "deeper" rather than "sluggish" because the action is still quick, but there is a slight difference.  It's more adjusting to the action rather than it being a problem. 

I think if you were to set up some scientific control experiment, you would see it's slightly slower or heavier but it's really minor if that, and once you get used to the Mark V you don't even notice, in my experience.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet