Author Topic: MKV Hammer tip ranges  (Read 540 times)

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
MKV Hammer tip ranges
« on: December 10, 2014, 08:38:46 AM »
Hi guys, I'm trying to build up a detailed picture of the MKV mainly out of curiosity and what makes it tick and one thing I'm still not sure of is the factory hammer tip types and ranges.

I think the hard whites were extended down a few notes, perhaps to G above middle C but not sure. Are all the other ranges the same as say a MK2 and were they the same type of tips in terms of height and shape etc?

Any insight much appreciated as always!
Dan

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
Re: MKV Hammer tip ranges
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:53 PM »
I remember a picture on a post showing the hammer tip divisions, but just searched for it and can't find it.  If no one can provide here, maybe via google you can find one... in the Mark V post I forget if I included in this but I don't believe so.

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=6656.msg32956#msg32956
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline bourniplus

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »
My Mark V has yellow until D# above middle C, then three "soft/black" (E, F, F#) and then "hard/black" from G until the wooden cores. The three "soft/black" sound very similar to the yellow tips, it starts to get clunky at G. As far as I can tell there are no white tips at all in my Mark V.

The transition between red and yellow is at F/F# below middle C, between black and wood at C/C# 2 octaves above middle C.
Mark I - Mark V
Clavinet model C
My electric square piano prototype

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 05:24:46 PM »
Many thanks for the info guys...I have all white tips (otherwise known as hard black tips) on my piano which is basically a MKV (can't say any more than that) from middle C all the way up to the woodcore...it sounds great in that configuration, though there's a little too much metallic click on some of those notes; particularly on G, A, Aflat and D above middle C.

But....! I then noticed that the whites (hard blacks) from vintage vibe that i'd replaced the old hard black tips with on these particular 5 notes were significantly taller than the originals which is affecting the escapement on those particular notes causing dead notes and aftertouch, amazing what a difference 3mm makes!

Also, I radically altered the strike line on mine so much so that the left corner of the harp protrudes over the end of the left harp support by a centimetre but man does it sound good. It's now much faster to play- I also have the tonebars set way below factory escapement to get a more sensitive touch as it felt too deep before (something that Bjammerz has mentioned about the MKv which also applies here).

Thanks guys!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:32:03 AM by goldphinga »