Author Topic: Advice on a Mark II  (Read 1304 times)

Offline napi

• View Profile
Advice on a Mark II
« on: December 27, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »
Hello everybody,

Could someone advice me on a Mark II?
I have the opportunity to buy a Mark II, but I'm not sure because at the moment I only can see some pictures sent by the seller. Has it plastic or wooden keys?
I attached the pictures.

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:58:02 AM by napi »

Offline Alan Lenhoff

• Vendor
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on a Mark II
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 08:02:47 AM »
It is a wooden-key model. What we can see from the limited photos reveals no obvious missing parts or corrosion on the tonebars.  Cosmetic condition is hard to judge, but what you can see looks good. It has the white pickups, which people on this list report to have a tendency to fail more often than the earlier red ones (but are fine on many pianos). It looks like it could use new rubber tonebar grommets (an easy, but tedious job).  While many here prefer the workmanship and tone of earlier Rhodes models, the Mark IIs (especially the wooden-key ones) are  certainly worthy models, too, and have some advantages, including a lighter action than the early models.

If I were buying this without being able to view it first, I would want better photos to judge the cosmetic condition, and to know whether it comes with the legs, braces, sustain pedal and sustain rod. And to address concerns about the pickups and broken or missing tines, I'd ask the owner whether every key sounds at a reasonable volume.

Alan

Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music" (Now available!)

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/

1965 UK Vox Continental;1967 Gibson G101 organ; 1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; 1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73; 1972 Rhodes Sparkletop Piano Bass; 1978 Hohner Clavinet D6; 1968 Hohner Pianet N II; 1966 Wurlitzer 140B; 1980 Moog Minimoog Model D; 1977 Fender Twin Reverb; Vox AC30CC2X amp.
(See the collection: https://vintagerockkeyboards.com/ )

Offline napi

• View Profile
Re: Advice on a Mark II
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
Hello Alan,

I'm very grateful for your advices they have been really useful to me. The seller asks 1.200€ but at this moment I can't go to see it, the piano is 400 km from my village.

Thank you

Napi