Author Topic: Gold Sparkle Student Model on ebay  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Gold Sparkle Student Model on ebay
« on: January 15, 2015, 12:35:35 AM »
There's a Gold Sparkle Student Model piano for sale on ebay.  Way too rich for my blood, but lots of pics if you've only ever seen one on the old Super Site.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-FENDER-RHODES-SEVENTY-THREE-73-GOLD-SPARKLE-STUDENT-STAGE-SUITCASE-PIANO-/301488245235?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item46321989f3

I'm not, and have no connection to the seller, but I have seen this piano in person at Custom Vintage Keys. Actually, it's this piano's base that I borrowed so a metal shop could fab a similar base for my own Gold Student Model (in a previous post). 

This one has been fitted with a Peterson pre-amp (as will mine) as the original preamp is long gone.  That seems to be the case with every one of these I've ever seen.  I believe the old preamps used to connect to a seat that had an amplifier in it.  That would be the ultimate find.
Anyone ever seen one of these with the amp/seat?  Did it have any kind of vibrato?

Offline voltergeist

• Mark II
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Sparkle Student Model on ebay
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »
How's your gold sparkle coming along?
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »
The gold Student Model is pretty much where it was on my last post -- base/stand has been fabricated; posts, rod and pedal have been chromed or polished;  need to resurface or replace the original tear drop hammers; need to figure out exactly how I'm going to put a Peterson preamp in it when the original preamp hole is patched with new fiblerglass.  I'm having Luke at Custom Vintage work on the hammers and preamp issues.  I've got a paint guy that did the silver sparkle on my 88s.

Hoping to get deep into it later this year, but it's on the back burner right now because I'm still in the middle of a couple other pianos.  I've decided to complete each single project before going back to the next and I've got the 69 Suitcase that is in the middle of a total customization -- two 60 watt Dynaco Mk III amps for power, ivory tolex, pearl harp cover and cheek blocks.  Probably going to keep the original alnicos.

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:29:55 PM »
Although the sticker is a good amount on the listing, it's in pretty nice condition and one of the few I've seen with the original preamp intact. 
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline 8675309

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 03:42:36 PM »
Although the sticker is a good amount on the listing, it's in pretty nice condition and one of the few I've seen with the original preamp intact.

It has a peterson installed, not a Jordan, with the later suitcase style knobs too.
From what one can see in the pictures it appears they failed to use bi-polar caps in the rebuilding of that preamp. Also they didn't fully re-cap the Peterson.
Those polarized caps will not last too long with the positive/negative voltage swing- maybe 10-20 hours of use before they pop.
is it really safe to advertise as "Fully Restored" ?

From the auction:
"For sale is this vintage 1964 Fender Rhodes Student Seventy Three piano. Incredibly rare in this GOLD sparkle/split pedestal configuration, it also happens to be in very excellent cosmetic condition and perfect working order. Completely restored and recently serviced by Luke over at Custom Vintage Keyboards, this Rhodes piano is undoubtedly the best working gold sparkle example in existence. A new custom preamp was thoughtfully installed to achieve the quintessential Rhodes Suitcase dual-speaker tremolo panning. So not only does it look absolutely incredible, it sounds better than the most Rhodes keyboards. Do not miss out on this opportunity to own possibly the rarest variant of and Rhodes piano. Please note that this keyboard can be shipped Worldwide!"

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
It will have the untapered tines, which are prone to breaking.

Gorgeous looking piano though!

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
Nice catch on the Peterson, looked too quickly at knobs and didn't even read description.  Problem being with the actual original preamps was that they connected via 1/4" TRS to the seat-style speaker cabinets the student sat on.  No speaker, no power to piano.  Which is probably why they were all seemingly removed over time by owners as non-functional.

Peterson really is the preamp to have regardless so probably sounds great.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline voltergeist

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »
I'd sure be happy to have that piano if I had $6k to blow.
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270