News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Another Electrical problem with my Wurli 120

Started by Pianokeys, December 15, 2005, 03:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianokeys

okay, so I've been working on this thing for a while, I got good tubes in it and it played really well other than some of the more obvious action problems which I'm slowly working on.  I replaced the speaker wire with some high-end oxygen free cable, and I was going to replace the piano harp pickup cable's old and cracked RCA connector with a hi-fi cast chrome jack.

The problem is, now that I've switched it out, all I was getting was this hugely loud and obnoxious static and electrical noise, no notes. Upon further investigation, I found that one or two of the notes did indeed play, but incredibly loudly and distorted. Looking closer at the pickup, I could see sparks jumping between the tine and the top of the pickup (non-ground). Later on, I turned it back on to demonstrate to one of my friends what was happening, and it did nothing. I tested the cable and it was fine. I tested the harp, and there was continuity between the connectors, meaning that there's a short somewhere. However, I'm not sure how this happened, or whether that short was the cause of the noise, as now that I detect the short, I get no sound except for when I disconnect the wire from the amplifier (which makes the kind of sound you'd expect for disconnecting a wire from an amp.)

yea, anyway, I'm just looking for ideas.

Pianokeys

Okay, so I know what's wrong now. The top bits of the harp pickup are offset somehow. I've got it mostly working, but sometimes electricity still arcs and it causes a lot of noise. The action is horrid on the thing right now, too. it must be the temperature in my room.  Does anyone know about adjusting wurli actions?

Fred

The "arcing" is common on Wurlis. Anything from solder filings to dust can lodge between the pickup and the reed causing a short and consequently, alot of noise. Make sure all reeds have an equal gap on either side between the pickup, and clean the thing. I take a very small, clean artist's brush and a shop vac w/ the long narrow attachment. Lift the dampers and brush around the reeds and pickup area while vacuuming at the same time. Vacuum dampers too. Never file a reed in the piano to avoid a future disaster. The Wurlitzer manuals are very helpful in explaining action adjustments. I think there's a 120 service manual on ebay right now.
Head Designer of the Vintage Vibe Tine Piano
Collector
Electric Piano Technician in New Haven, Ct.
(203) 824-1528

Pianokeys

Leave it to some asshole to sell 45 cents worth of xerox to someone for 15 bucks.

Fred

I hear you, but what can ya do??? You gotta learn action adjustments somehow...Unless you want to wait around for an original, which really aren't all that much to look at...
Collector
(203) 824-1528

Pianokeys

my point was that they're making a ton of money off of you with almost no overhead.

Fred

Yeah, I got your point.  So how's the Wurli? I just snagged a 120 off ebay. Should be here next week...
Collector
(203) 824-1528

Fred

$430. plus shipping. In the pics it looks cosmetically decent, though far from perfect, and its missing only the music rack and the power light lens.
Collector
(203) 824-1528