Help Identifying my Rhodes MK1 73 Stage's age and wiring

Started by RhodesMK1, September 12, 2015, 04:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhodesMK1

Hi All!,

My first post on here, I have had this Rhodes for a few years I bought it from a local music shop in 2011 where it had been sitting for at least a year or more and then has sat around my studio since then I am ashamed to say. I don't have an amplifier for it yet so i haven't tried recording with it but have played it and it feels nice! So here is my questions:

I am having a hard time figuring out the exact age Rhodes and what some of the mods on the electronics are if they are mods. The stamp that IS visible has only 3 digits "352" there might be a number before the 3 but it is so faint i can't even tell what it says with a camera messing with filters to get it to pop out better! Someone put a switch to link both decks of the pot together, also there are 2 newer quality instrument wires coming form the top and bottom sections of the pickups and each goes to one of the pot sections and then out to a 1/4" output jack on the front. I am not 100% on what these 2 outputs are for and the dual gang pot and switch configuration has anyone seen this type of setup!?

The specs or details that I am able to recognize and photos should document:

Stamp on the Tone bar rail can see 3 digits (could be 4 with the first so-soooo faint) *352

Has "Rhodes" both on the serial number sticker on the tone bar rail, Serial number is: 40923 and says "STAGE 73"

Has just "Rhodes" on the front Rail again no Fender

The Hammers are the Plastic/wood combo with rubber square tips.

- Has a "A.L. CLARK" on the right wooden riser along with "INSP 29" inspection stamp.

- Keys are wooden with the top and front capped Not rounded but flat like a piano key.

I was thinking it was a 1972 from the *352 stamp but then it should have a Fender/Rhodes markings so from the non Fender on the Logos and the plastic/wooden hammers thought 1974-5ish. I did read somewhere that not having the Fender name could still happen on older pre 1974/5 Rhodes but that could be hooey i don't know, Any information or insight is appreciated! Maybe is a newer MK1 that had the hammers replaced with the older hybrid style?

Also any suggestions on an easy way to amplify it in the interim getting a speaker/amp setup, I am handy with the soldering iron I could whip up a little amp circuit and power it also I do have an old HP Tube bench amplifier that can do 20-40db of amplification I could try out for running into my DAW.

vanceinatlance

I'm probably wrong, but I'm going to guess its a 75 with what looks like some type of mod to split the upper and lower register pickups for independent gain?
I don't think it is much newer than 75 because of the wooden harp support blocks.
The mod looks interesting, but it shure would be nice if you still had the missing Peterson preamp that fit into that rail.

RhodesMK1

Vance,

Thanks for the input, yes could very well be a '75 version or have been modified and had the harp and front rail put in from a newer version. I most definitely would have preferred the original Peterson pre with the different tone options! I am looking around the net on the mod for the pickups if i can find any schematic i will try to post it up that may explain the reason for the split system. I am not a Rhodes expert so hopefully someone who is or knows more than I can enlighten me! :)

Ben Bove

Vance is correct from what I can see - this is an early 1975 piano.  352 would be 03rd week, 1975, day 2.  Which would make sense for wood harp support blocks and Rhodes logos / gold badge.  The keys also are the 2-piece more yellowed keycaps you find on 1974 pianos (not earlier), and lastly, the 4 case latches to close the lid are the later design with early, smaller rear hinges, spot on for '74 / '75 era.

The only mod looks like the Peterson rail with the added pickup wiring.  What's curious is that usually a section split (low section to one output, high section to another) is there's only one jump point in the pickup wiring.  here, they've sort of grouped all the pickups in the chain.  I'd be interested to see what someone was looking to accomplish here, but the switch is definitely to vary from normal wiring to the "altered" wiring scenario of some kind.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

laberge

I'm curious to know whats going on with the electronics and harp wiring. Looks custom.

RhodesMK1

Hey all, thanks for the replies! I believe you guys are correct with the age dating I emailed the guys over at Vintage Vibe and he said 1975 as well so I can at least know that much! As far as the wiring is concerned It's a little head scratcher for sure Except it allows 2 outputs both are sounding the same as best I can tell, when I flip the switch it makes so every 6th key (guessing on this I didn't count exact) pickup drops out. If anyone has any ideas on why that would be worth switching...? I will check again and confirm if both sets of outputs work the same way with the switch in the same position or if the switch is opposite.

If I get a moment I will draw the current wiring configuration on paper.

Thanks again for the input!

Nate