News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Vintage Vibe lubes (and protek)....evaporation problem. Better containers?

Started by DocWurly, September 23, 2015, 11:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWurly

I'm a bit flummoxed by an ongoing problem with Vintage Vibe lubricants evaporating.  This is not intended as any sort of diss on VV.  I think it's an inherent problem with the liquids.  I'm just looking for recommendations on good container fixes.

Specifically the Piano Key Post Lube:
http://www.vintagevibe.com/collections/wurlitzer-parts-tools-supplies/products/piano-key-post-lube?variant=899470103

and the fast action remedy lube:
http://www.vintagevibe.com/collections/wurlitzer-parts-tools-supplies/products/wurlitzer-fast-action-remedy-lubricant?variant=899472711

In summary, they evaporate out of their provided plastic containers, even when tightly sealed.

I had containers of these items which hadn't been used, and as I watched, over months, they reduced to half of their original volume.

The rep I talked to was VERY understanding, and sent replacements.  I put the new bottles in sealed glass mason jars.  But, I can still smell what I am assuming is naptha, emanating from them.  And I can see the volume reducing.

I think I am having a similar problem, to a lesser extent, with the Protek I buy.
I just don't use the stuff quickly enough.  and I don't like breathing in the fumes.

Can anyone recommend a good source for small glass containers that will keep this stuff from disappearing?  Thomas scientific only sells in bulk.

pianotuner steveo

Protek does not have fumes and it doesn't evaporate that quickly. I use it almost everyday and haven't had any issue.

Are you sure you have pure Protek?

I just opened my bottle and stuck it directly under my nose and mine barely has any odor to it.
I lubricated 176 parts in an acoustic piano about an hour and a half ago, and there were no fumes then either.

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

DocWurly

Hallucination is a possibility re the Protek.  Data less than scientific.

Fumes absolutely happening with the VV lubes.  The fast action remedy lube is probably the Naptha/Silicone mixture talked about in the manuals.  I don't know what the Key Post Lube consists of.  Both evaporate.

pianotuner steveo

I'm not familiar with VV products, but if they have fumes and evaporate quickly, then they likely have naphtha in both. Fred would know for sure.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Chris Carroll

We have seen the same thing here at the shop. We have a new metal container coming for our key post lubricant that comes with an application brush on the lid. In regards to the Fast action lube, I have never seen a glass bottle with the long needle needed for tight bushings. Perhaps we should sell smaller quantities for one or two jobs.

In regards to protek, protek does not address swollen wood that needs shrinking. From my understanding it serves as lubricant.This will not address sluggish action. Our head piano tech Fred may offer more insight into this. I know he has experience in both. We do not do acoustic pianos here at Vintage Vibe, Fred does personally.  We have over 20 years with the solution we use on Wurlitzer electric pianos as stated in the manual. It works like a charm every time. You can even adjust your recipe to more or less lubricant to shrink solution ratio. Again Fred can enlighten this subject.
Vintage Vibe will do all we can to help anyone out in a fair and honest way. Call us up or email anytime.  "Love is the answer"

DocWurly

I think what I need is a storage bottle, even if it doesn't work with an applicator. 

Then I could transfer the liquid to a plastic applicator bottle for when I am actually doing the job.  Maybe what I need is metal.  I don't think making the bottles smaller is the solution I'm looking for: I like having a lot of this stuff on hand.  I just can't seem to keep it in its container!