News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Different heights in hammer tips?

Started by alexdecker, September 30, 2015, 02:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexdecker

Hi all

When restoring a Rhodes '72 about a year ago, I bought the hammer tips from Vintage Vibe. At that time, they only had one option in stock, so naturally I ordered and used those. Now they have more choices, which is all good.

Now, I recently got a hold of an old suitcase piano. And when I opened it up, the hammer tips surprised me. In the bass end they were really high (higher than the ones I ordered at Vintage Vibe).

My '72 stage was always troubled by heavy action as the escapement was too great. Now I am realising that I could perhaps order some higher hammer tips, and remedy the problem that way, like it has been on my new suitcase?

What do you guys think?

– Alex

pianotuner steveo

Although there may be some touch difference, I doubt that was the only cause for a heavy touch.

Tight key bushings and shallow key dip can cause a heavy touch. ( among other things) I would check those too if you still have the stage piano.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Ben Bove

I would agree with Steveo, the varying tip height on an early Fender Rhodes probably wasn't the main reason for heavy action.  Unless the piano had a miracle mod on it, and potentially reducing the harp shim on the left support block / resetting strikeline, those pianos were generally heavy in action from the factory.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

alexdecker

Yes, I am starting to think you guys are right. Just weird that it differs that much from the recommended escapement setting in the Service Manual.

Anyways, my suitcase has the Marcel curve, and it feels MUCH nicer to play on...

– Alex

pianotuner steveo

The height of the tines determines the escapement, not the height of the hammer tips. You can still have 3/8" or whatever you want by raising or lowering the tines.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Max Brink

QuoteMy '72 stage was always troubled by heavy action as the escapement was too great. Now I am realising that I could perhaps order some higher hammer tips, and remedy the problem that way, like it has been on my new suitcase?

The '72 would not have had the tapered (pose-76) tips in it and that will definitely have a noticeable affect on the action and tone in the bass and lower mids of the piano because of the increase in escapement. It takes a lot of adjustments to get the tapered tips to work in the pre-76 Rhodes pianos and in the end it changes the tone that was originally a big part of the sound of that production era--which is the sound that most players prefer.

I always Retro Linear cubed hammer tips in the pre-76 period if the tips need replaceing. They are the best sounding tips for a piano of that era and don't require you to reset the escapement height, damper levels, or strike line in the harp. I have not yet heard the new Vintage Vibe tips but based on the pictures that I have seen the RL tips seem to be closer in line with the way that the original tips were produced. In general Retro Linear does an excellent job with their reproduction parts getting them true to the original intention and sound of the piano.

That said, '72 pianos have a notoriously heavy action and I think you would likely be very pleased with a pedestal bump setup. When we restore a piano from that period we always add the pedestal bump. The only exception that we make to adding the bump in one of our complete restorations is when it has the marcel curve (and even then we add them as needed).
Max Brink
The Chicago Electric Piano Co.

ph: (312)476-9528
e: max@chicagoelectricpiano.com

w: http://www.chicagoelectricpiano.com/
fb: http://facebook.com/electricpianoco/
tw&ig: @electricpianoco