Balance Rail Pins uniformly angled??

Started by shaggama, May 25, 2016, 01:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaggama

Hey folks.  New to the forum, love this place.  I have just started on refurbishing my 1980 Rhodes Suitcase and am really loving this forum.   One thing I recently noticed were the balance rail pins on my keybed.    They are almost all (except for 1), angled ever so slightly towards the back of the piano.   Is this normal?  Could it be from storing on its end to much?  When I was on the road a bunch, she traveled on her end quite a bit. Should I attempt to true them all up?  I worry about snapping them or damaging the mount holes.  My action seemed fine with some of the keys sticking a little upon lifting them up, but I alleviated that with some easing.   It seems fine but just wondering.  I've added a few photos.  Thoughts? 
1980 Rhodes Suitcase::Janus Pre-amp::Piano Only

David Aubke

They are supposed to be angled. Indeed, the top of the rail into which they're installed should be similarly angled.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

shaggama

Thanks so much for your reply!  They were all so uniform, I figured.  I have stumbled across your site many a time during my restoration.  Great site, great photos, great stuff.  Cheers.
1980 Rhodes Suitcase::Janus Pre-amp::Piano Only

David Aubke

Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys