News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

WTB: 1972 Rhodes Mark I 73

Started by honkytonkman, October 19, 2015, 03:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honkytonkman

Hello All -

This is my first post in the EP Forum, but I have been lurking here for a while, trying to learn as much as I can about electric pianos.  Thank you for the education.

I am foremost a guitar player, but lately I have been writing on a piano, and I think an electric would be very inspiring.  After a lot of reading and listening, I think I have narrowed my sites down to a 1972 Rhodes Mark I 73.

1972 is my birth year, and it seems like an exceptional year for a Rhodes, which is awesome, because 1972 did not seem to be a good year for manufacturing over-all.  '72 Rhodes, '72 Ferrari Daytona, and, well I think that's pretty much it.  I have no use the Ferrari, as they are too ostentatious and valuable to drive on an adventure, say, to someplace like Death Valley.  But a '72 Rhodes?  Now that could be just the thing!

If anyone has a '72 Rhodes they are looking to part with, please give me a shout!

Thanks in advance -

Charlie / coincd.com

honkytonkman

PS - I am located in Los Angeles, and I would prefer a stage, but am willing to consider a suit case.

honkytonkman

Hi All -

I found a Rhodes!  In the end I got I '73, not a '72. 

I went to see a '72 stage model that was near me - it looked nice, but played pretty rough.  Then I had a chance to try a '73 suitcase, which looked nice, and played wonderfully.  I decided it was better to get the right '73 than the wrong '72.

The original owner of the Rhodes I bought was a musician named Terrell Prude' Sr.  In 1963 he released a record produced by Ray Charles.  I found a copy on Ebay that should get here this week.  He also was an entertainer in Las Vegas.  I have owned many vintage instruments, but all were anonymous  - it is somehow very special to own one knowing its history.

Alas, my Rhodes is missing its lid, so if anyone has an extra, please let me know!  I am in the market!

Best,

Charlie

David Aubke

Charlie,
Congratulations on finding a good match. When you say "lid" are you speaking of the wood and Tolex top half of the cabinet or the plastic harp cover?

I really like the sound of the track samples from "Ride What You Can't Change". Got a bit of a Lyle Lovett aesthetic going on... but with more 13th chords.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

vanceinatlance

I think you chose very well. I was tempted by that one myself when I saw it listed and learned about it's history. In the pics it looked very well cared for, but to have history like that to go with it makes it very special indeed! It is great to know someone here aquired it,  Congrats!

honkytonkman

David -  Thanks for the kind words about my music!  I love Lyle Lovett, so that is a big compliment.  It was fun bringing 13th chords to country - when we did that record, I wanted to bring a layer of performance & improvisation that is normally not really part of country / folk.  The running joke during the sessions, was that no one was allowed to play 3rds.

Anyhow, yes, by "lid" I mean the tolex covered plywood cover that clasps on over the keys.  That part is missing from my piano.  I don't anticipate my Rhodes will leave the house much, so there is no rush, but eventually I would love to find a cover for it, so that it can be complete.

Vanceinatlance - Yeah, I had a good feeling when I saw this Rhodes pop up.  In person, the tolex has a few scuffs in places, but the keys are all level, the sound is balanced (to my ear, anyway) and the notes are all perfectly in tune.  Inside the piano, there is an extra replacement tine attached to the harp with Scotch Tape that has not yellowed at all, which would suggest the instrument was recently serviced.  Terrel Prude' Jr. who was selling the instrument on behalf of his father could not have been a nicer man.