High notes and other problems

Started by Funk, March 19, 2004, 03:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funk

I have a Mk I Stage 73 key Fender Rhodes from 1972, which has been used quite a lot by previous owners. But it still works  :wink:

But I think the high notes (at least the two highest octaves) have little sound, they sound weak. What can be done to fatten them up? The action itself also feels very "dead", do they weigh less than the others?

Of course, the more volume I have, the more sound they get, but they still sound a bit puny when compared to the rest.

Also, one of the keys tends to get stuck. I've seen inside, and I've seen it gets partly stuck underneath it's neighbouring hammers. How do I adjust it to be straighter?

vicvega1972

The tines are probably set too high in relation to the pickup in the extreme upper registers - and the pickups could be pushed in further I presume also. Slight tine timbre adjustments downward will cure your problem. Making huge changes in the height of the tine will cause others - unless you want to deal with escapement and damper clearance. If so, read the online manual.

Moving the pickups in closer is easy. Just make sure in the extreme upper register that the pickup is not moved into the path of the hammer (this is common on older Mark I's).
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
John Della Vecchia