News:

Don't forget to read the forum rules.

Main Menu

Harp Frame Orientation?

Started by shaggama, May 31, 2016, 12:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaggama

Hey folks,

I am repainting my harp frame and the wooden pickup and tonebar rails.   The screw holes on the sides of the harp frame are asymmetrical.  Does anyone know which is the 'top' or 'back'.  I cant remember.  I need to know which side to re-mount the pickup and tone bar rails respectively.  I've attached a pic with each side labeled A and B.  Thanks.
1980 Rhodes Suitcase::Janus Pre-amp::Piano Only

David Aubke

Whichever way aligns the screw holes with the threaded holes in the harp supports.

I believe the harp frame and its rail screw holes are symmetrical. The only consideration is if you're reusing the original harp support mounting holes (not adjusting your strikeline), then you may as well orient the frame so they line up.

You only have two options to try. If the holes line up in both orientations, then make sure whichever you choose puts the strikeline where it should be.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

shaggama

Thanks. They do actually line up both ways so I didn't want to get everything re-mounted and find out my strike-line is way off.  It was in a good place before so I should have paid more attention. Rookie mistake.  I had the 'top' marked with tape while painting but it must have fallen off. Once I remount the hammers and dampers I will figure it out.  Just curious if anyone actually knew.  It's the wide holes that I was referring to that are asymmetrical. I remember the harp being mounted using those holes.

Thanks again.

David Aubke

I've actually never seen a harp like yours with those slotted holes. I don't think I've ever had one that would align in either orientation. I wouldn't have thought to mark the top either.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

shaggama

Yeah, I was glad I had thought of that and I look at my primer paint job and boom, the tape was gone.   This is a harp from a 1980 Suitcase Rhodes.  I don't have the suitcase anymore so she'll be a stage conversion.  I'll post pics soon-ish.  This is taking way longer than I thought but I am loving it.